Post Likes

Question About JCI DCM's

When I worked for Johnson Controls some of our biggest facilities had NCU's with DCM-140's and of course all the modules. I remember when the NAE came out it did not support DCM's. So I was wondering what people have done with DCM's?
    Law Of The Thermostat: He who has the thermostat wins!!!!!

Post Likes
    There are still a few out there! A few years back, some customers would replace the DCM's with DX9100s, then on a second phase, get rid the NCMs. Now days, they almost have to tackle the whole project at once since the DX is dead. Some customers have just taken a "do nothing" approach, but that will not end well.

Post Likes

Failure to Launch

Quote Originally Posted by JCIman View Post
    There are still a few out there! A few years back, some customers would replace the DCM's with DX9100s, then on a second phase, get rid the NCMs. Now days, they almost have to tackle the whole project at once since the DX is dead. Some customers have just taken a "do nothing" approach, but that will not end well.
    It does seem that quite a few people don't see the writing on the wall. I was just wondering how do you replace such a beast that normally has smoke control logic. Not sure you could fit enough controllers in one cabinet!!!!

Post Likes
    We did a couple of schools and replaced them with a JACE and PCG's
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

Post Likes
    Ditto on Jace with PCG's

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by desert guy View Post
    We did a couple of schools and replaced them with a JACE and PCG's
    How did you get all the devices and components into the cabinet. The DCMs I've seen are like maxed out with numerous pneumatic outputs.

Post Likes
    With mine, I usually replace the existing panel. This is one I did a few years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

8. Likes JCIman liked this post
    Post Likes
    Wow, that looks like a lot of work!!!

2444 Washington Blvd, Suite 100 Ogden, UT
    Post Likes
    Any way that you look at it there is a lot of work involved. Even thought our S4 Open: BACnet-N2 Router could support publishing a DCM to BACnet the DCM is essentially a co-processor for the NCM sitting on the back plane of the chassis based NCU. If you remove the NCM you then have to replicate the supporting services and sequence of operation in your own global controller. We have always advised our partners to put that investment in time and money into replacing the DCM up front. Even though integration is possible there is no guarantee that the DCM is going to live longer than it takes you to complete the integration. As far as I know our partners have always taken our advice on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by simux View Post
    Wow, that looks like a lot of work!!!
    Steve Jones
    Managing Partner
    The S4 Group, Inc.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by steves4 View Post
    Any way that you look at it there is a lot of work involved. Even thought our S4 Open: BACnet-N2 Router could support publishing a DCM to BACnet the DCM is essentially a co-processor for the NCM sitting on the back plane of the chassis based NCU. If you remove the NCM you then have to replicate the supporting services and sequence of operation in your own global controller. We have always advised our partners to put that investment in time and money into replacing the DCM up front. Even though integration is possible there is no guarantee that the DCM is going to live longer than it takes you to complete the integration. As far as I know our partners have always taken our advice on this.
    I kind of figured it was a major undertaking. Probably involves a bunch of temporary panels and lots of temporary wiring etc... Some of the big issues are when there are numerous global points and commands. In most buildings not a big deal, but when you talk about a hospital that runs 24/7 then I say, trouble right here in River City.