Post Likes

Trane Tracer TU Issue

Has anyone had an issue with the tracer TU software and their computer ID number. I keep having to contact my local trane dealer to provide me with a new licence because my computers ID number keeps changing.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin

Post Likes
    how does your ID number keep changing unless your trying to put it on another computer!

Post Likes

Trane Tracer TU Issue

If you read my topic that's what I'm asking. The software will work fine for a week or so then when I open the software it will give and error saying the computers id does not match the license and I'll have a different computer id displayed in the software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by controldude View Post
    how does your ID number keep changing unless your trying to put it on another computer!
    That was pretty helpful.

The TU pc id is based upon hardware and MAC addresses. This being said one of your MAC addresses is probably changing. There are two instances I've come across personally that have given me a little grief.

The first was USB hardware. I've had both a USB network adapter and a USB cellular modem cause the issue. The problem is they aren't always there so the PC ID number is different when they are present versus when they are not.

The second and more frustrating one was a virtual network adapter for a VPN connection. When you look at your IP strings in the command prompt you will see all the network adapters. In my case the virtual adapters MAC address would change every time the computer restarted thus changing my PC ID. It never would be the same twice. In my case I just uninstalled the VPN client since I don't use it that often and will reinstall it when the time comes to use it.

I would look here first. Jot your MAC addresses down for all your network adapters and see if a new one appears or one has changed the next time your software licenses.

This is one of the reasons your PC ID can change without installing the software on a new machine.

Good Luck
    It took actually learning something to realize how much I had to learn.