Post Likes

Variable Primary Flow - Minimum Flow

Curious how you guys typically set up minimum flow bypass for chilled water. If the low flow safety (DP switch, flow switch) is set to open at the chiller's spec'd minimum flow, what setpoint would you use to control the minimum flow bypass?

Example - flow switch opens at 400 gpm. What bypass setpoint would you typically try to maintain to avoid nuisance low flow trips?

Post Likes
    The chiller manufacture has that numbers. They have tested what their chiller will tolerate and not freeze up at. You adjust the flow switch to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes yorkie820, WillyTech liked this post
    Post Likes
    You might just have to experiment until you find the sweet spot. You don't want to set your bypass GPM setpoint so low that you risk tripping out your chillers (low flow is typically a manual reset at the chiller, in my experience), and you also don't want to set it so high that you inefficiently rob your zones of water.

If it were me, I'd start at 500 gpm and run a couple cycles of your full range of operation, all in auto control and see what happens.

Post Likes
    Ditto. Its a T&E session. Set it 50-100gpm over the absolute min and see what happens.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

6. Likes roadgear16 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Given a clean sheet of paper I would install differential pressure transmitter(s) across the chiller evaporator section(s) and modulate the bypass valve to maintain something just slightly above the manufacturer's minimum. DP is: less expensive, easier to maintain, more accurate, more robust.

8. Likes WAYNE3298 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I would add 100 gpm like stated and see how well the system handles it. I'm also a fan of evap DP over flow meters. I've never found a flow meter that wasn't a piece of garbage.