Heil DC90 Ultra High Efficiency Furnace Problems

Heil DC90 Ultra High Efficiency Furnace Problems

Yesterday we had a problem with our Heil DC90 Furnace. The fan is working but there is no heat. The Furnace has one of those Honeywell Valves on it and I think it is malfunctioning. I tried to shut off the valve and turn it back on and this worked for a little bit last night but by this morning the valve would not allow the pilot lite to come on. Is there anything I can do to trouble shoot this?? I was told by a repair guy that with the valve tripping out the Heater Exchangers may need replacing or we need a whole new furnace. I think they just need to replace the Honeywell valve box the furnace would run fine. Any thoughts?

If they said this over the phone I would be weary, sounds like they are reaching with that, I dont think your heat exchanger would be suspect under these conditions but it should be checked as a precaution before you put money into this furnace.

I think you have gone far enough to troubleshoot this, now is a good time to find a good service tech who isnt there to just sell you a new one.

Heil DC90

Thanks and yes it was over the phone, I thought the same thing, they are just trying to sell expensive parts. The furnace itself is no more than 5 years old at best. Thanks for the advice.

What's your serial number? That thing should have at LEAST a 20 year warranty on the heat exchangers! I would get a second opinion from someone who is not bent on selling you a new unit. Heil is pretty solid equipment, if installed correctly, of course. I recommend calling ICP direct to confirm your warranty and tell them the heat exchanger failed after only 5 years. Either way, don't just let them rip the thing out before you talk to ICP directly..

Twilli says call a pro and get a real evaluation of the unit
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

If you are talking about the honeywell smart valve with a little green led on it a steady light means the valve has failed. In any case you can't fix the problem yourself. Make the call to have it looked at, but NOT the same repair guy that was so quick to condem your furnace over the phone.

Before you start dumping money into parts, find a tech to do a system evaluation to find the problem. Sometimes it will cost you more in the long run doing it yourself. I personally get annoyed with people when called to make a repair after a homeowner has been toolin on there system and made things worse.

Turning gas valve off and on tells me you have one of just several possible causes that is locking out the system. You need to have it checked out by a pro.

So.....let me get this straight!

Quote Originally Posted by jwiehagen76 View Post
    Before you start dumping money into parts, find a tech to do a system evaluation to find the problem. Sometimes it will cost you more in the long run doing it yourself. I personally get annoyed with people when called to make a repair after a homeowner has been toolin on there system and made things worse.
    I will assume by your comment that you have never wrenched on your car, mowed your own lawn, tinkered with your computer, or put your hands in an electrical box, because you always leave it to the professionals. I would never want you as my technician and you would never want me as a customer. The statement you made is outrageous. How about those of us who can't afford to call a professional at $80.00 an hour every time our furnace goes on the fritz.