Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ownership/Warranties

Post Likes

Ownership/Warranties

I just found out today thru a an adverstisement of our local paper that the Installing company who did the install of my Carrier Infinity 96 furnace has new ownership. Now when this new ownership transpired I do not know but being a customer ofr the former owner who did the install should I not have been notified they were selling out to someone else and should the new ownership have notified me of this transaction or do they not have any responsiblity to notify any or all past and present customer who they still are responsible to for the first year warranty ? I feel like I have been left out in the cold in a way and am wondering if I should make contact with Carrier regarding this transaction of new ownership ? Have any of you ever been apart of new ownership of the company you have worked for and previously owned and sold to someone else ? Your reconmendation are appriciated on what there responibility is to me or what Carrier's responsibility is to me if any ?

Post Likes
    I would call your installing company and ask if they will be covering any warranty issues you may have.
    You may find you are concerned about nothing, or you may find that your labor warranty is gone.

I sold my first company 20 years ago and all our warranty's were fulfilled, it was part of our sales agreement.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    You can call and ask if it is covered. Or worry about it when you actually need them in that 1st year. You're worrying about something that may or may not happen. Don't be looking to get something free out of this for yourself because they didn't notify you of something. Maybe they haven't gotten around to notifying their customers?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    I would call your installing company and ask if they will be covering any warranty issues you may have.
    You may find you are concerned about nothing, or you may find that your labor warranty is gone.

I sold my first company 20 years ago and all our warranty's were fulfilled, it was part of our sales agreement.
    I have about 4 months left on the first year warranty agreement with the orginal installing company and then I am able to have the 10/10 warranty work from who ever I chose to do the work, but I would think there should be some sort of agreement between the seller and buyer on who is going to honor the balance of the warranties left form the seller.

Post Likes
    Call and ask, the new owner should have no problem covering the next four months of your labor warranty if you have a factory 10 year warranty.

Also know many of the 10-10-10 factory warranties take over labor after 90 days.

Do you have a factory warranty with proper paper work?
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes

I Used To Work For A Carrier Dealer

Hi!

Do you have the standard warranty from Carrier, or did you purchase a 10 year parts or parts and labor contract?

There are warranties that are done solely through the installing company, and then there are factory backed warranties. If you have the latter, get in touch with Carrier Corporate 800-227-7437 and have them transfer the extended warranty to another Carrier dealer.

If you are still within the first year, and you only have a standard warranty, then you may be SOL on your labor warranty, unless you call Carrier and they hook you up with a local company that will honor it somehow. It is not likely though.

Remember that the dealers are businesses that are independent of Carrier Corporate...so I don't imagine that Carrier would notify you. Local dealers do business with the local Carrier Distributor, not Carrier Corporate directly...

If you can, let me know exactly what type of warranty contract you have.

Post Likes
    I have the standard 1yr from installer and then 10yr P&L which I think is thru Carrier, not sure on that. I understand that Carrier dealers are independant of Carrier but shouldn't either one of these companies (Seller or Buyer) be responsible for the 1yr warranty work since that is basically standard with all dealers or am I dreaming. As far as the 10yr P&L I am under the Impression I can have anyone I chose to do warranty work after the first year, correct. I have not had any luck getting in contact with my orginal installing company since they installed my furnace, either due to lack of communication within there office personell or just due to lack of not wanting to deal with customers as I have tried to call and have one of there techs out on several occassion but they never returned any of my calls. And about 3 or 4 months ago the son of the owner of the orginal installing company split from his dad and went out on his own so I knew then they had problems but never thought his dad was selling out anytime soon after they split, there bussiness but I think they should have atleast notified there customer base especially ones with a 1 yr warranty work they have a obligation to cover instead of having to read about it in a local paper from there print ad they run weekly which I think is a shady way of bowing out IMO. So I am not sure I want to deal with this new company at all if they feel there's no need to notify us regardless if Carrier Corp. requires them to do this or not. Should I call Carrier and get things straighten ? I am also thinking instead of talking with these new owners over the phone that I will write them directly and see where they stand or what they feel they have as far as an obilgation to me and others for warranty of the balance of the first year and there after, to see how much they wish to have my bussiness or would that be wrong of me to do.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW13 View Post
    I have the standard 1yr from installer and then 10yr P&L which I think is thru Carrier, not sure on that. I understand that Carrier dealers are independant of Carrier but shouldn't either one of these companies (Seller or Buyer) be responsible for the 1yr warranty work since that is basically standard with all dealers or am I dreaming. As far as the 10yr P&L I am under the Impression I can have anyone I chose to do warranty work after the first year, correct. I have not had any luck getting in contact with my orginal installing company since they installed my furnace, either due to lack of communication within there office personell or just due to lack of not wanting to deal with customers as I have tried to call and have one of there techs out on several occassion but they never returned any of my calls. And about 3 or 4 months ago the son of the owner of the orginal installing company split from his dad and went out on his own so I knew then they had problems but never thought his dad was selling out anytime soon after they split, there bussiness but I think they should have atleast notified there customer base especially ones with a 1 yr warranty work they have a obligation to cover instead of having to read about it in a local paper from there print ad they run weekly which I think is a shady way of bowing out IMO. So I am not sure I want to deal with this new company at all if they feel there's no need to notify us regardless if Carrier Corp. requires them to do this or not. Should I call Carrier and get things straighten ? I am also thinking instead of talking with these new owners over the phone that I will write them directly and see where they stand or what they feel they have as far as an obilgation to me and others for warranty of the balance of the first year and there after, to see how much they wish to have my bussiness or would that be wrong of me to do.
    Well, I know that when the dealer I worked for went out of business, we notified everyone by sending a postcard/flyer in the mail. Carrier may find another dealer, and they will likely be reimbursed by Carrier direct...

You need to look closely at the 10 year p&l contract. is your installers name listed anywhere on the contract? If it is, you need to call Carrier Corp because that contract needs to be officially changed to a new dealer before someone else can honor it. I have heard of parts only extended warranties that any dealer can work on, but typically p&L ones are only able to be honored by the dealer listed on the contract.

If you have the contract number handy, call carrier direct, they can look it up in a flash and tell you if anyone can work on it or if you need to look for a new company and then tell them to switch it.

Post Likes
    I'm a Carrier dealer. If the installing contractor can't/ won't honor the warranty then you can call Carrier when the time comes and they will find a dealer in your area to do the work. Carrier will reimburse the dealer for the labor. You have nothing to worry about because you're still covered.
    Call the company to find out what their plans are and some of the 10/10 warranties have labor covered on day 31 after the install.
    Let me say it again, you're warranty worries are a non-issue.
    If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

Post Likes
    My Paper work happened to be sitting right in front of me by the PC, and I have the (coverage P) The cover letter included along with my warranty coverage agreement states in the end of the letter "Should your equipment require service, please contact the servicing dealer shown on your warranty. Services rendered by any other dealer will not be covered by Carrier. If the dealer listed on your warranty is no longer available, contact your Carrier distrubutor for the name of another servicing dealer" Who is considered to be the Carrier Distrubutor ? Is this the place the dealer buys the equipment ? Is the coverage I have (P) the best warranty available that Carrier offers ?

Post Likes
    My Paper work happened to be sitting right in front of me by the PC, and I have the (coverage P) The cover letter included along with my warranty coverage agreement states in the end of the letter "Should your equipment require service, please contact the servicing dealer shown on your warranty. Services rendered by any other dealer will not be covered by Carrier. If the dealer listed on your warranty is no longer available, contact your Carrier distrubutor for the name of another servicing dealer" Who is considered to be the Carrier Distrubutor ? Is this the place the dealer buys the equipment ? Is the coverage I have (P) the best warranty available that Carrier offers ?
    Yeah you want to call Carrier direct (not the distribution warehouse, you can try, but typically they only work with dealers, so not sure why the warranty is worded that way) they will check with the distributor and new dealer, to be sure they are willing to take it on, and will then process the change, and mail you a new contract...

Post Likes
    I just found out today thru a an adverstisement of our local paper that the Installing company who did the install of my Carrier Infinity 96 furnace has new ownership. Now when this new ownership transpired I do not know but being a customer ofr the former owner who did the install should I not have been notified they were selling out to someone else and should the new ownership have notified me of this transaction or do they not have any responsiblity to notify any or all past and present customer who they still are responsible to for the first year warranty ? I feel like I have been left out in the cold in a way and am wondering if I should make contact with Carrier regarding this transaction of new ownership ? Have any of you ever been apart of new ownership of the company you have worked for and previously owned and sold to someone else ? Your reconmendation are appriciated on what there responibility is to me or what Carrier's responsibility is to me if any ?
    Why do you want to ask on this site? Don't you think it is best that you call this new company and ask them directly. Yes/No - it is from the horse's mouth. Then you go on from there. Rather spending time punching the key board to those who cannot have any control over the situation but rather opinions

Post Likes

if the company uses the exact same name, i would THINK they would be responsible for the 1 year warranty

only a guess though, just_opinion is right call them up!

Post Likes
    Nope, Different compnay name and new owners

Post Likes
    Well after posting my last post where I quoted what Carrier reconmended I do, I called Carrier Corp. and they are going to get in touch with the distrubutor and hash things out with them and get back to me on who will be honoring the balance of the first year until March of next year where I can then have any company there after do warranty work. I just didn't want to be left out in the cold sort of speak if or when the furnace may have needed repair in the dead of winter, not that I couldn't get someone out to the house but didn't want to have to fork out big money when under warranty the work would have been covered. But with respect to the coverage which is classified as coverage (P) is this the best warranty Carrier/Dealers have to offer or is there a better warranty available ?

Post Likes
    You can take this as you wish. I think you have some other issues if you're so concerned about the last 4 months on a warranty, if you're having issues, that is one thing, but if there are no issues, lighten up. Get a hobby.

Post Likes
    bmathews, I have plenty of hobby's.. Thanks for the advise !!!! I do not have any issues at this time other than my orginal comapany has been sold and bought by others and I was not sure if there required to fullfill the balance of the first year warranty which is to be handled by the orginal comapny, and evidently you do not understand that those issues !!! And Do you really think Myself or anyone else should have to fork out money to someone else because the orginal company went out of bussiness and you were not notified, and when something did happen you had to call someone else out to repair or fix the furnace you paid for which included a warranty from that orginal company !!! All I am worried about is that I will have someone to honor what I paid for !!! And surely if it was your warranty and money you would be doing the same, or am I wrong about that, and you would rather have to argue with Carrier or the company who is demanding money because they were not the orginal company and were not required to do the repair work under warranty.

Post Likes
    I cannot believe that the former company didn't consult you before they sold their own privately owned company. How dare they be bold.

Why don't you just call the new company and ask them whats if they are honoring the warranties. their problably running as a DBA until they can get their new name out any way.

Post Likes
    I would think if the compnay falls and new ownership takes over and if they were taking over the warranties the former company had to honor in the first year you would think they would have made contact with all the homeowners who are still under the first year warranty. But what do I know, as I do not know what the new ownership obilgation are with me and others who are still in the first year warranty and if that was part of the sellers deal for the new owners to honor those warranties.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=DanW13;2069475]I would think if the compnay falls and new ownership takes over and if they were taking over the warranties the former company had to honor in the first year you would think they would have made contact with all the homeowners who are still under the first year warranty. But what do I know, as I do not know what the new ownership obilgation are with me and others who are still in the first year warranty and if that was part of the sellers deal for the new owners to honor those warranties.[/QUOTE

Again, why don't you call the new company and ask them, whats up? You can type post until your fingers fall off. but that isn't going to solve the possible "problem" you have. When I want answers I go straight to the horses mouth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in