Thread: 103-118f air at the register. Is this normal?

Post Likes

103-118f air at the register. Is this normal?

The hot air coming from the furnace felt a little too hot for my comfort so out of curiosity I grabbed my Fluke IR Thermometer (a necessity when making chocolates) and took a reading in the living room. The registers, with the grates off, registered at 103-118f. This seems and feels a little high compared to the gas furnace in the last house. The living room is also right above the furnace... I am not sure if that matters or not.

I also had a rather shocking experience when I recently crawled behind the furnace to access the circuit box and came in contact with the exhaust flue and nearly burned myself. I just took a temp reading of it as well and it was between 131-158.

Please let me know if these temps are normal or I should call for a service appointment.

Thanks,

Dan

Post Likes
    It depends on what the temperature in the house was. I'm sure it is fine. Flue's can cause blisters, I have a few. Saying that, it is a good idea to have your furnace serviced and looked at by a professional on an annual basis. They can catch things that can be potentially dangerous or inefficient, such as leaky ductwork, undercharged if on a heat pump. Most places charge around about as much on a service charge and furnace check as a nice dinner out with your wife on her birthday. Unless your wife is a Kennedy.

Post Likes
    Would depend on the furnace but 120 at a register close to the plenum would not be unusual. 158 would be low for flue temps on a non condensing gas furnace, must of been off and cooling down
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes
    Okay. I just want to make sure.

I do have a service appointment scheduled... for Feb 2nd. Unfortunately, that was the soonest the oil company could get someone here. Apparently, I need to schedule my appointments in June or July.

Dan

Post Likes
    February 2nd is kinda late in the game for a heater check. Is there any other companies around that could perform service? I'm not a yankee, so I'm not sure how it works in your neck of the woods.

Post Likes
    Do you have a gas or oil furnace? Does it vent into a chimney or via other means?
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    I would tell your oil company that they WILL get someone there much sooner or you will go elsewhere with your business.

Post Likes
    Oil furnaces tend to run warmer than gas furnaces all the way around. Sounds like there is a shortage of oil service techs in CT
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    February 2nd is kinda late in the game for a heater check. Is there any other companies around that could perform service? I'm not a yankee, so I'm not sure how it works in your neck of the woods.
    Unfortunately, that is how it works out here. Service contracts are sold with the oil contracts. The service contract covers tune-ups for both the furnace and water heaters, efficiency tests, and emergency service on the major components. Apparently it is common to schedule the fall tune up early in the summer.

I would tell your oil company that they WILL get someone there much sooner or you will go elsewhere with your business.
    Umm... yup and suffer a $300 oil contract cancellation fee.

Do you have a gas or oil furnace? Does it vent into a chimney or via other means?
    Oil and right up the chimney in its own flue.

Sounds like there is a shortage of oil service techs in CT
    Might be. They told me that they hold some service techs in reserve to handle emergency service calls.

Dan

Post Likes
    With oil, your flue pipe temp was A LOT hotter then 158°F.

IRs aren't accurate on galvanized sheet metal.

If your flue was only 158 with the furnace running, your chimney wouldn't last long.
    It was more like 350.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in