Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmm Pre Christmas Cracker

Found this bad primary on a Goodman yesterday.

Changed it out today...manufacturer says this is "metal fatigue"

Ok I have seen many ring poppers before but not a failure like this.

Temp rise and manifold all to spec. Good static too.

1996 GMPN series

[IMG][/IMG]

Three seperate cracks.

Can hear the broken pieces rattle when you move the heat exchanger around

Anyone else seen a failure similar to this?
    Here's your sign...

whoever thought those rings were a good idea...... should be taken out back and beaten with a hose

Goodman is the leader of the cracked heat exchangers, that I find, carrier gas pack inducer squirrel cages with missing blades is just as common. The boss is letting me hold the M-spector to up my confirmed kills.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nu2no View Post
    Goodman is the leader of the cracked heat exchangers, that I find, carrier gas pack inducer squirrel cages with missing blades is just as common. The boss is letting me hold the M-spector to up my confirmed kills.

Forgive my ignorance but what is an M-spector?

I found this one with mirror, camera and oh yeah the huge flame roll out when the blower fan came on
    Here's your sign...

Some of the more common cracks in the Janitrol units are in the ones that have the double shafted motor, I don't know model number but they are 150k btu and are about 10 years old. Seems to me like a design flaw in those that I have seen, there is a plate that separates the two blower drums and the heat exchanger is getting very little air, it is very close to the support for the blower housing. I personally like it when you just pull out the motor housing assembly and in the top diverter see half of one of those rings cause they sure did make it hard on some to see thru the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffcdntech View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but what is an M-spector?

I found this one with mirror, camera and oh yeah the huge flame roll out when the blower fan came on
    http://www.milwaukeemspector.com/

here it is

All Goodman GMPs from 1992-1999 are cracked like that. Before I even take the vacuum off the truck for a clean and check I pull the blower, count the rings, and get our salesman on the phone.

On 90's, it's fun to pop off the flue elbow and wipe the soot out. Pulling the limit and inserting my SeeSnake is also an eye opener for Joe Cheapskate who bought that POS to start with.

I stand by my statement from two years ago: Goodman GMP - WORST. FURNACE. EVER.
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

I see that alot on the PGB series gas pack.When I go on a call and see the rollout limit opened,I order a heat exchanger.I have not been wrong yet....
    And yes,after I get the heat exchanger installed the system is running to design specs.
    Look to the past to learn;look forward to live.

Coach Dean E. Smith

Quote Originally Posted by 2nu2no View Post
    Goodman has many....Carrier/Bryant has more in these parts....those dimples behind the limits.....what a joke....

Oh.....and never forget the Dura-crack.....LOL
    I need a new signature.....

you guys always rip on the duracrack but i've seen ALOT of them, i've condemned alot too

usually they're well past their expected life when i find them cracked though

Correct temperature rise would have prevented that from occuring. First time I seen the rings NOT fall out.

Quote Originally Posted by superheatrman View Post
    Correct temperature rise would have prevented that from occuring. First time I seen the rings NOT fall out.
    Don't bet on it....

I wouldn't discount your theory but I would say 80% of the heat exchangers I find cracked....are well within temperature rise specs for the unit....

Quote Originally Posted by cody350 View Post
    you guys always rip on the duracrack but i've seen ALOT of them, i've condemned alot too

usually they're well past their expected life when i find them cracked though
    We rip on everything.....if we didn't have things to rip on....we wouldn't have jobs!

How are you searching for cracks in the Duracurves??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast