Dancing, Floating Flame

I have a DV gas fireplace that has an intermittent flame problem. At times when it is turned on the manifold lights but the flame begins to float, and only burn in areas that I believe to have proper air for combustion. Within 45 seconds all flame is out and the thermal couple shuts off the pilot. The fireplace worked fine when it was new but in the last few years the problem began to happen more frequently. Now it's about 50% of the time and normally after a weather change. I've trouble shot this as a air flow issue.
    If I turn off the fireplace and remove the glass I can feel cold air at the exhaust opening in the firebox with a slightly positive pressure. I've set the pilot to high to hopefully keep the exhaust insert warm enough for a draft ( the glass is very warm) to no avail. I've removed the liner to check for obstructions or other issues (two 3 inch liners). No problems were found so I reinstalled them.
    Is it possible to have the draft reversed (in through exhaust out through intake) by wind/cold pressure and have it sustained even with a pilot burning?
    I just dropped $100 for a service guy who just scratched his head. It worked fine for him and he has never seen a problem like this. Whats my next step? Thanx

You are describing the classic symptoms of a venting problem, caused by lack of combustion air to burn the gas.

When the fireplace first lights there is typically air to burn the gas, so it starts normally. As the air shortage develop es, the flames start to float as they burn only where there is oxygen, and then are extinguished altogether.

I'd start by checking the gasket on the glass for damage, then look for any parts of the venting system broken and blocking the air flow. Trace how the fresh air is supplied to the burner and the exhaust gasses exit the equipment and make sure nothing plugs it.

How often do you notice this? Any particular pattern you notice? Any furniture, plants or other obstructions in the vicinity of the terminator cap outdoors?

The termination cap is on my chimney and is open freely on all sides and as I have completely removed the liners (again 2, 3 inch liners, one exhaust, one intake) to examine them I don't understand how there could be a blockage unless I kinked them bringing them back down the flue.
    I'm not sure about the seal on the glass door though. Would a bad seal be enough to interfere with the drafting? I'll check it, however as this has been an ongoing problem when it does happen I will remove the door to get a proper draft, reinstall the door and re-lite the fireplace. A bit of a pain I will admit.

Umm. Often the inner vent pipe is supposed to be sealed with high temp silicone caulk. The risk is that combustion gasses can mix with incoming fresh air, causing a lack of combustion air.

If you have the installation manual, I'd read over what it says about venting and be sure your vent is properly installed --- that would be a good cause of this problem.

What`s the make and model?
    Question authority!

Sounds like the int and exh are backwards. I did that once on the first f/p I installed with the 2 liners (Regency). It worked fine when I fired it up, but within a few days the cust. called reporting symptoms like you described. I now mark each piece top and bottom so it won't happen again. (Like the u-32 insert I just installed today! )
    Where are you? Are you done yet? I got ONE more call for you.....

Seattle Pioneer-Both liners attach to their own male connections on the fireplace unit itself so any vent problems have to occur within the unit.
    Jetstream- It is a Flame FX model FX DVI Bay

reverse the liners

GasGuy- I can only assume the top hole in the unit is exhaust and lower holes intake but what about the termination cap. It's one that has 2 levels with a connection at each level for the liners. I was sure I put everything back the way I removed it, Could it always have been wrong? and why would it have worked perfect when new?

Natgastech-Your right it's about my only option and I should have tried that already but I guess, again, it worked perfect for the first couple years. Maybe Santa screwed with them. I can't see any issue in reversing them, can anyone else?

You need a copy of the installation manual so you will know how the equipment is supposed to be installed. Guessing and supposing doesn't cut it, and there may be details that are important.