Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cornelius Ice Machine problem

I am working on a Cornelius, model # IAC 530, ice machine that fails, always at night, when it fails the red led is on on the circuit board and power has to be cycled for it to start again.

I can find nothing wrong with the operation of the machine when it is working. I have changed the circuit board and the suction temperature probe. I unplugged the pump and found that that caused it to lock out after two cycles, so I changed the pump. It still locks out at night.

As far as I can tell by reading the literature the only thing that will cause it to lock out is if the suction temp gets below -28 degrees or if the ice screen does not open for two cycles.

I now find out that one of our other refrigeration guys ran into the same thing in another building a couple of years age. They had another ice maker in storage so he just swapped it out and never did find out what was wrong.

This machine works so well when it is running that I can't believe that this cannot be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by richlaf View Post

I can find nothing wrong with the operation of the machine when it is working. I have changed the circuit board and the suction temperature probe. I unplugged the pump and found that that caused it to lock out after two cycles, so I changed the pump. It still locks out at night.

You need to understand the sequence of operation and what the codes mean, then diagnose the problem. Changing parts blindly cost you and the costumer money for no good reason.

As far as I can tell by reading the literature the only thing that will cause it to lock out is if the suction temp gets below -28 degrees or if the ice screen does not open for two cycles.

If it is the code I believe it is, there are other reasons it can shut down.

This machine works so well when it is running that I can't believe that this cannot be fixed
    It can be fixed with proper diagnosing procedures.
    Last edited by KirtusJon; 12-10-2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: spelling
    Too Few Pro Tech's & Too Many Parts Changer's.

In other words you don't know. The codes are vague at best. I made refrence to using the manufacturers manual. If there is anyone out there that has had a similar problem with this unit I would appreciate any input.

If the units works well
    It sounds like the bin fills up,
    Ice in the bin is so high it prevents harvest cycle to drop any more ice.
    If this happens twice the light goes on and locks out unit.
    Determine what signals a full bin and I think you'll have it licked
    Good luck
    If you cant fix it right, try again.

Your post is to vague to get some guys to help.
    You changed all those parts but never indicated why.
    If I was your service manager you'd have some splanin to do!!
    That said no one knows every thing in this business. I like to reach out alot for issues above my brain, which has been alot lately.
    I think you need the tech manual for this unit.
    There are so many tests in there you'never would have replaced as many parts as you did.
    Please don't get offended, just RTFM!~!!!!
    Respectfully
    Get ur manual here!
    http://www.cornelius.com/stellent/gr...e=PdfHighlight
    Good luck

In other words you don't know. The codes are vague at best. I made refrence to using the manufacturers manual. If there is anyone out there that has had a similar problem with this unit I would appreciate any input.
    I'm sure I offended you, even though that was not my intention. The manual will only get you so far, then you need to find why something is working that way it is.

Example:

If it shuts down because curtain is not opening, why? Is it broke? Probably not, it works when you are there. Is the hot gas solenoid valve opening in harvest and releasing ice to push open curtain? Probably,as before, it works when you are there. Is the bin switch stuck in closed position? Well, if bin fills at night and you are not there, it shuts down because curtain will not open, because there is to much ice in bin. By the time you get there, the ice is below the head.

The fact it happens at night is probably a clue. You have to be a detective. What happens at night. Are they turning off heat/cooling to save money? If to cold or to hot can cause problems. Is unit outside or in a non conditioned space?

I hope you the best, and maybe this or someone else can help you.
    Last edited by KirtusJon; 12-10-2008 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling
    Too Few Pro Tech's & Too Many Parts Changer's.

Clean the machine Is the red light on solid or blinking? has the unit been cleaned? I think you said you have a service guide. 2 failed harvest, high evap temp,, or open thermister. take your time and check each one. If it hasn't been cleaned do that before anything else and do it right. Note what error code you actually have. does it go off every night whether it is reset in AM or PM? Run two batches, time the freeze and harvest cycle separately, clean the unit , run two more cycles time the same, is there a difference? the book will solve the problem just slow down, take a deep breath and follow the instructions completely. One more thing, clean the machine. And don't forget to clean the machine.

If the units works well
    It sounds like the bin fills up,
    Ice in the bin is so high it prevents harvest cycle to drop any more ice.
    If this happens twice the light goes on and locks out unit.
    Determine what signals a full bin and I think you'll have it licked
    Good luck

This may be a key point. I have found the bin to be over full a couple of times. I tested the bin t stat a couple of days ago by submerging the sensor in ice. It turned the unit off properly and back on when warmed. I work afternoons and the bin is usually half full when I get there but that is not to say that it wasn't full when it failed.

I work primarily on HVAC and cumputer controls. We are a school system with 31 buildings. I have always said that if you work on ice machines 3 or 4 times a year you'll probably do more harm than good but I have to do what the boss says.

when you say overfull do you mean it is full above the bin t-stat? when I say clean the machine I mean clean the evap with the proper evap cleaner, clean the water distibution system, clean the condenser coil. Most ice machine problems are related to it being dirty. second is lack of water, third is electrical, last is refrigeration

When I saw it over full it was full to the point that the ice curtain was held open but I think it started on it's own when I emptied the bin enough for the curtain to close. It was some time ago when I saw it full.

It was cleaned this summer.

The light is on steady when it fails.

I do have the 70 odd page manual that I found on line. I may clean it again by their insturctions.

Most contractors that I have worked for over the years would never send an HVAC guy on an ice machine. If you don't know how to pinpoint the problem you will spend too much time waiting for the machine to go through it's cycle.

HVACR!!!! Thankyou

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast