Honeywell millivolt wiring

Honeywell millivolt wiring

Hello folks:

A very simple question here: Can I simply disconnect the wall switch wiring from the valve and just leave the control knob in the 'pilot' position? That way, when I want to use the gas fireplace I just need to turn the control knob to 'on'.

In other words, is there any hazard or drawback to leaving the control knob to pilot all the time?

Thanks in advance!!

With out the wall switch the fireplace would not turn on unless you jumper the TH and TH/TP. I personally do not recommend operating gas burning appliances any way but the proper way. That being said I see nothing being damaged leaving it that way.

If you eliminate the wall switch and turn unit on manually, you could get some unexpected effects. Turn on the valve too quickly and you momentarily feed house-line pressure before the regulator gets control. Turn on the valve too slowly and you may get a delayed ignition. Best to let the valve and fp operate as designed, using the wall switch. If the wall switch is defective, replace it, that is a common fault and an easy fix.
    Question authority!

Smile

Thank you both very much for the input. My problem is that the white wire from the wall switch goes to the TPTH terminal and the black wire from the wall switch goes to the TP terminal. In this configuration the wall switch worked intermittenly.
    Now when you turn the control knob to 'on' the burner doesn't shut off at all.
    I've tried a new wall switch with no luck and am not really sure of the next step.
    Any thoughts?

Well, it`s miswired, maybe in more ways than one. It is easy to do. Why not call in a tech, may seem a simple thing, but gas is not something to play or experiment with. When the wiring is corrected you'll be back to the original problem anyways.
    Question authority!

Red face

Hey Jetstream, your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
    I've already spent more that the cost of the damn fireplace on two
    techs who took me to the cleaners while i was away on business.
    I know I've got this new Honeywell valve installed, but how he rewired it is beyond me.

Who knows what these guys did to my fireplace. At any rate, I have the manual for this fireplace and it shows one wire going to the th terminal and one wire going to the tpth terminal from the wall switch. Perhaps they're now crossed, it's easy enough to fix. What more can there be to it? It originally had the white wire on the tpth and the black wire on the tp terminal...

By the way, I supported my local gunslinger on this one and got burnt. So much for supporting your local business person.

Thanks for the input. Cheers!:

Quote Originally Posted by mortadell View Post
    By the way, I supported my local gunslinger on this one and got burnt. So much for supporting your local business person.

Thanks for the input. Cheers!:

I gave a lot of thought to what to look for when buying services. In my opinion the two most important qualities to look for are honesty and competence, with honesty most important.

Sorry if you got burned. The last several years I was repairing gas fireplaces I got all my work by referrals made from a fireplace shop or repeat business.

The fireplace shop employees gave out my phone number thousands of times and never asked me for a nickel ---- they merely wanted people to get honest and competent service, and for people to be treated decently so they wouldn't call back with complaints.

I'm not sure all such referrals are made so selflessly, but I'd think about ways to find honest and competent service agencies whenever you need repairs. I would avoid looking in the yellow pages or other adverting. You are taking pot luck from such sources.

If you paid these guys to repair your fireplace and they did not fix the problem, call them back. If I charge a customer to do a repair, I stand behind my work and have no problem going back free of charge.......IF it is not a new issue that wasn't there in the begining.

I second the idea to call a fire shop that will refer you to a repairman....and is not interested in only selling you a new fireplace.