Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trane Rover?

Trane Rover?

I was looking into picking up Rover. I think they have a in-house version and a contractor version. Can someone give the rundown of the differences and ball park cost?
    He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask any questions is a fool forever.

Yeah, I know someone that works there,
    contractor version is for Test and balance, not what you need, and to the best of my knowledge you cant get the other version.

Quote Originally Posted by Mfaust View Post
    Yeah, I know someone that works there,
    contractor version is for Test and balance, not what you need, and to the best of my knowledge you cant get the other version.
    I guess that depends on what region you work in. There are many contractors in the DC area that have the full version of Rover. They call us all the time when they can't get it to run on the POS laptop that they bought from BestBuy.

I posted the part number for it awhile ago, shouldn't be hard to look it up.

Ok, I stand corrected. I have seen people ask our office for it and not get it, but I dont guess that is how it is everywhere...

Wink

It is a " touchy subject" and probably depends on whether you may threaten the local Trane offices market share. After my lie detector test comes back I hope to get mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuziwanano View Post
    After my lie detector test comes back I hope to get mine.
    hahaha, guys its just like getting ANY other programming environment. I dont care one way or the other, but honeywell wouldnt sell care to outsiders, you cant get AX workplace without a training certificate and a quota, same with JCI...

Don't misundertake what I am saying, I understand why they do what they do and I respect the guys that work for them. I am coming at this from a purely selfish point of view. I sell and install a fair amount of their equipment and controls but there is a need for me to have Rover to mitigate inconvenience and I would like to install some 580's to automate my house and a future greenhouse project, so it does not make sense to get the watered down version and I do not threaten their market share here locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuziwanano View Post
    and I would like to install some 580's to automate my house
    heheheh I like the way you think.....

I found that number mallron, but it was just comm4 and Lon. Is Comm 3 before Rover?
    He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask any questions is a fool forever.

The way that we sell rover is that Contractors can only get the Water/Air Balance/Config Only version of Rover. We only Sell the Full version to building owners, and we are very leery of that because of the amount of damage they can do if they aren't trained properly. Usually we sell training along with it, but still people like to mess around with values and jack things up. So we are very protective over the full version.

Rover is not for comm3, only comm4 or 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbyz View Post
    The way that we sell rover is that Contractors can only get the Water/Air Balance/Config Only version of Rover. We only Sell the Full version to building owners, and we are very leery of that because of the amount of damage they can do if they aren't trained properly. Usually we sell training along with it, but still people like to mess around with values and jack things up. So we are very protective over the full version.
    That's BS. How do you expect to sell 100 FCU's to a contractor and not sell them the software to service them? It doesn't even need to be 100 FCU's, it could be one wshp, they would still need to service it.

And as far as building owners goes, they can do whatever they want to do, it's THEIR stuff. If they want to break it go ahead and I'll charge them to fix it when they're done.

Not attacking you personally, but that logic doesn't make any sense to me.

I understand your gripe. Not my rules though. In certain circumstances I know that we have bent that rule.

I will say this...the majority of the reason that it is that way is because it keeps Trane techs working on Trane equipment rather than another mechanical service company coming in and undercutting the rate. If they don't have the software, they can't service the building. Or maybe they can diagnose a lot of the stuff on-site, but there is still that tether back to Trane that they need regardless. I guess for lack of a better term...It is a wedge to keep the door open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast