Thread: AX question

AX question

We are an upstart Honeywell ACS. Basically my boss sent me to the AX cert class as well as the Level II programming class. Problem is.....I have absolutely no previous experience with automated controls. I'm in waaaaaaay over my head. Been spending the last few weeks reading everything I can get my hands on.

My question is....

In AX, what is the purpose of the "Niagara Network"? Seems like everything has to integrate through either the "Lon Network" or some other protocol. Besides running demos, I fail to see what the purpose is.....

Can someone please explain?

The Niagara Network is for the Jace's and the Server to communicate with each other.

Maybe I needed to be more specific.

Why program on the "Niagara Network" wire sheet?

you do not if only one ax on the network. if more than one ax or points from one ax to the other ax.

Let me give you some good advise here

Help tab, top left center of WB, click on help contents, click on the search tab and insert your query

Guaranteed to help ya FIFO

As MDaly stated, the Niagara Network represents the relationship between jace to jace, or jace to server. If you have alarms, points, trends or anything on a jace that is being broadcast to a server or to another jace, the "Niagara Network" is how it is made possible. Lets say you have 10 jaces on a site with lon, bacnet, and modbus networks on each jace. And lets also say you have 1 outside air temperature sensor on a controller and on the whole site and there are tons of logic instances out there that depend on an outside air temperature. You wouldnt run a wire to each jace from that 1 controller that has the input with the outside air temp sensor, you would share that outside air temp point across all the jaces on the site using the niagara network. So basically, the niagara network, is the network of the jaces, just as the lon network, or bacnet network is the network between their respected controllers. I hope this helps you get a picture, as I'm far from a teacher. If you have any more questions, feel free to keep them coming, as I'll try to help you out as far as I can.

If you have some background in HVAC I would not worry about it to much, you will pick up the programming side of it. If you do not have any background in HVAC, then you are going to be in over your head because even if you know how to get around in AX you have to know how to control the equipment.

AX looks very intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it its one of the easiest programming tools that you will ever use.
    Go Rangers!

Thanks everyone.

Starting to make sense. I guess the same would apply to components hooked directly to the JACE as well?

And yes, I know the help button is my friend.....but sometimes the lingo is a bit confusing.

I spent 17 years in the marine (shipboard) side of AC&R and made the switch 3 years ago to commerical HVAC. So the mechanical side is no problem.