Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by acman17 View Post
    Can anyone let me know the requirements of the US government to allow me to work in Florida? I am Canadian and fully qualified (and ticketed) with 15+ years HVAC experience.
    Also is the Tampa area good for HVAC companies? Union?
    Thanks.
    You will need a work permit or visa, check with the embassy.

Not many Union shops that I am aware of, there are some good shops in Tampa, but with the economy, people are getting laid off quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    You will need a work permit or visa, check with the embassy.

Not many Union shops that I am aware of, there are some good shops in Tampa, but with the economy, people are getting laid off quite a bit.
    Im in a non-union company now anyways

My original post was more to find out how it is working in Florida, how are the hourly rates and how is the job market. But every question answered seems that now is not a good time to presue this at this time. Thanks everyone for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey83 View Post
    Im in a non-union company now anyways

My original post was more to find out how it is working in Florida, how are the hourly rates and how is the job market. But every question answered seems that now is not a good time to presue this at this time. Thanks everyone for the info.
    Guys are working for $15 an hour, some are getting more, some are working commission.

Tampa was at 12 percent unemployment, Florida as a whole is over 11 percent and climbing. Obama was in Tampa today talking jobs. I would get hired first before moving, even then......last one hired first one fired/laid off.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

Quote Originally Posted by secorp View Post
    Tampa was at 12 percent unemployment, Florida as a whole is over 11 percent and climbing. Obama was in Tampa today talking jobs. I would get hired first before moving, even then......last one hired first one fired/laid off.
    I would of course get a job before I moved , but as I stated I was more into getting information on how it is working there before I went ahead. I'm making almost 38 an hour now and that is about what union pays up here as well for commercial/industrial techs. If the same work is being done down there for $15 an hour it wouldn't be worth it at this moment in my life, for 30-35 and the sun it would be.

You would have to be a chiller tech to make 30 plus in most parts of Florida, Miami and Lauder-dale have the most union influence and highest pay.

If you like residential Palm Beach is millionaire row.

Right now, everybody that I have ever met that comes down here from the North end of were ever, end up hating themselves and the State. the grass may be greener but at least when someone pees in the snow you know it right away.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

Quote Originally Posted by secorp View Post
    You would have to be a chiller tech to make 30 plus in most parts of Florida, Miami and Lauder-dale have the most union influence and highest pay.

If you like residential Palm Beach is millionaire row.

Right now, everybody that I have ever met that comes down here from the North end of were ever, end up hating themselves and the State. the grass may be greener but at least when someone pees in the snow you know it right away.
    hah thanks for the info, ya I only do ressy now as side jobs on weekends. I work on rooftops/chillers/refrigeration/pneumatics/building automation/boilers/geo-thermo, work for a smaller company with some nice accounts that lets me touch everything. Getting harder when you have to go outside in +30C and then -30C weather, but again equipment breaks down more with our extreme temperature changes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12