Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Branch Tool

It's a branch tool only as far as I know...............

Listen to me when I tell you that you'd have to be extremely high to even consider the EBI system! We went the Honeywell hell route of going from XBS to Plantscape to EBI. We have been using EBI for a few years now and the problems with this system are mind boggling! Even the Honeywell techs have no clue on how to solve half of these issues.

Alarms come in and then clear at the buildings and don't clear at the front end unless you click on them. There are tons of CNAP errors. Control point details can't be pulled up on graphics when you are signed into that building's server but you can veiw them going through another building. There are so many issues it's not even funny. It's like it has a mind of its own!

This whole system was created in Australia and they had to do a bunch of code changes to sort of get it to work in the USA. You'll spend more money on tech calls than you could ever imagine. That is if you don't have people on site and even then if they are XBS saavy, they will not have a clue about EBI and once they do they will not want anything to do with it. Sure you have a warranty period, but you'll wind up like us with an ever evolving headache!

XBS is much more user friendly, much easier to build graphics and is far more reliable. EBI is no upgrade! Other than Honeywell no longer supporting XBS, from what I understand, why are you looking to upgrade? How big is your facility?

Finally, EBI is such a flop, Honeywell is already coming out with a new system. Yeah, sure does sound like Microsoft doesn't it? Never get anything running right. Just keep hoping people continue to use your software because you know your technicians will always have work.

Like Sazor said, you can use BNAs with XBS 1.7 as part of a phased update to EBI. I've done it on systems as large as 15 CBUS's - just watch that you are following bus layout guidelines. If all of your controllers are on CBUS it should be a fairly basic upgrade and whether you start from scratch building graphics or use an upgrade utility the end result should be fine. Personally I'd take the BNA route (CBUS) over an ILON connection (with virtual CBUS over LON) any day of the week.

Use EBI

The people afraid of EBI may now know how to use it correctly. It is the logical upgrade from XBS. BNS's are easy to setup and use.

Quote Originally Posted by T87F View Post
    The people afraid of EBI may now know how to use it correctly. It is the logical upgrade from XBS. BNS's are easy to setup and use.
    Having worked with SymmetrE extensively (EBI less card access and video)
    I'd say the logical upgrade for any XBS system comprising of mostly XL10s is AX.
    Any front end that relies on IIS is doomed. Have a look at their compatibility matrix with regards to Windows updates.
    AX will get rid of "zone manglers" and LNS synchronizations altogether.

EBI is great if all you've got is CBUS.

CDI experience in 2008...

I recently used CDI to convert XBS fire alarm grfx (>10K devices) to EBI. Gotta say, the conversion process was amazing. The XBS data is harvested and stored in Access format and regurgitated into EBI format.

Over 500 grfx were automatically built using CDI, and the end results were nearly identical to the original XBS (Designer) grfx, including navigation and bound symbols and text. I was highly skeptical before starting, and I'm blown away at the graphical end result.

One notable exception: You cannot set digital state color changes before the conversion. This was an issue because each XBS FA device symbol included a shape (circle/square) and alpha character to signify device type. The converted grfx showed normal state color as green for both shape and alpha; the result on a live system was that the alpha was unreadable (same color as background).

Can't speak for the functionality of the EBI platform, but I'm very, very impressed with the CDI product to migrate XBS to EBI.

CBUS over ILON ?

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlgeek View Post
    Like Sazor said, you can use BNAs with XBS 1.7 as part of a phased update to EBI. I've done it on systems as large as 15 CBUS's - just watch that you are following bus layout guidelines. If all of your controllers are on CBUS it should be a fairly basic upgrade and whether you start from scratch building graphics or use an upgrade utility the end result should be fine. Personally I'd take the BNA route (CBUS) over an ILON connection (with virtual CBUS over LON) any day of the week.
    Ctrlgeek,
    Q: about ILON on a Cbus.
    Do I untherstand there is a ILON device with can communicate with Cbus like XL100 (only Cbus no Lon) and then you can read over Lon the points from the XL100?
    We have the Care program (7.03) for the Xl100 to made some adjustment

Otherwise I want to use the "Arena" with only Lon device's can handle to replace XBS software.

Thanks in advance

XL100 CBUS

Let me rephrase that - when it comes to tying to a group of controllers on a CBUS I would rather do it with a BNA than to use an ILON and a virtual CBUS. Yes, newer generation XL500 controllers can reside on a virtual CBUS that communicates over LON but that does not include XL100s. In the case of XL100 controllers existing on the bus, a BNA is the solution path. If it is a new installation that also includes XL10s you probably won't have XL100s and LON can be a viable solution.

Okι, thanks that’s clear.
    But the BNA and then .....
    The problem is that we have a customer with maintain 40 site's various DCC
    controllers mostly only Cbus connecting by modem with the XBS.
    The XBS will sooner or later disappear (PC crash or what kind of reason)
    So it's hard to sell this solution 40xBNA (a lot of cash)

Q: anyone?
    Is their a proper solution to upgrade the site's for a new remote monitoring
    or better is their a replace for the XBS.

Like Roadgod, I have the same statement and experience about the EBI / support Honeywell here in the Netherlands.

Has anyone out there used InTouch wth Cbus from Honeywell?
    Reg Hilmar

Hi telemetrie,
    at first you must know want you want
    the xbs is support to win xp sp2 and the will not developed
    If you take the EBI you can migrated all your remote site .The ebi have an remote function- and it is more better then the xbs ( you can connect more the one remote site )
    The first way is :
    for the migration you need the cdi tool. Also you need the database from the xbs
    These tool are only for the Honeywell. The cdi convert all graphics but you must control
    all grahics and change some icons ( for one grahics you need 1/2 hour )
    the second way is:
    You need the care rtf files from all controller and import these to the Quickbuilder ( tool to download the datapoints to the ebi )
    In the quickbuilder you build your remote site your controller and your datapoint.
    Now you must paint new graphics for all your remotesite

regards from germany
    printe train

Honeywell new system?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadgod View Post
    ... Honeywell is already coming out with a new system...
    Had You more information on this new system?

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlgeek View Post
    Could you route over IP852? Also, I'm curious if anyone tried the Loytec RNI for this instead of the ilon. Further, for the virtual bus can you use a standard NIC? Then maybe you could use a 1250 NIC with Smart Switches. Network performance should go way up.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast