Denali Park, Alaska, McMurdo Station, Antarctica

Hmm 06 Carlyle bad valves on a Carrier Transicold Electra.

Got a 6 cyl that has bad valves, makes a heckuva racket in defrost. I'm thinking I'll just pop the heads off and change the valve plates and see how that goes before I think of changing the compressor. My question is, would it be reasonable to ASSUME that the most likely damaged plates would be on the left or right bank. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I start tearing it apart.

Definite bad valves, the cch went south and they didn't pre heat it before starting. I've never worked much on one of these Carlyles, they are solid and simple no wonder they last for a long time. These Carrier electras here are all over 20+ years old. Guess it was a silly post anyway. Thanx

If I had read that yesterday, I would have guessed the left head. But I get to guess today too. Were all of the valves bad, or just under one head?
    Customer: "I have a problem with my (Non-Descript Heating Appliance). It's really old (somewhere from 3 to 120 Years?) and it used to make a (insert noise here) and now it makes a (insert new noise here). Is that common with (Non-Descript Heating Appliance)'s ? "

Quick check. Test both sides of head with IR thermometer.

Your bad head(s) will have a higher temp and lower differential.

No guessing.

The big prize is the left bank, But I changed them all-they had the spares and we're back online. Looks like this will be another season of hot gas solenoid valve replacements as well. These are in Carrier transicold Electras of a minimal vintage of early 80s. Still kickin along. Some year they may replace them but I'm not holding my breath. Thanks guys for the input. I'll be swapping one of these out and will post pics of the event. So you can see what type of engineering our tax money is paying-scary.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Quick check. Test both sides of head with IR thermometer.

Your bad head(s) will have a higher temp and lower differential.

No guessing.
    ditto on that...

Since I don't have an OEM gasket- it will take a minimum of 1 year to get(gotta love a multi-national Corp) for the discharge service valve-different unit now, needs a hot gas bypass valve and has a leaking discharge service valve gasket.
    I know that the Carlyle book says light application of oil, tried that-still leaks using a service valve gasket off of a Copeland. So I am thinking of a high temp silicone any thoughts as long as I keep it away from the port? I guess I shouldn't complain about old equipment, as it gives me something to do.

Quote Originally Posted by yanertrivr View Post
    Since I don't have an OEM gasket- it will take a minimum of 1 year to get(gotta love a multi-national Corp) for the discharge service valve-different unit now, needs a hot gas bypass valve and has a leaking discharge service valve gasket.
    I know that the Carlyle book says light application of oil, tried that-still leaks using a service valve gasket off of a Copeland. So I am thinking of a high temp silicone any thoughts as long as I keep it away from the port? I guess I shouldn't complain about old equipment, as it gives me something to do.
    One of my journeyman had me change a gasket b4 that i didnt have...he had me cut one out of rubber from another gasket on my truck... it hasnt leaked yet...you could get alot of truck stock by then.

Silly-cone works wonders on those gaskets.

Only other option is tapping one out if you have gasket paper. Copeland gaskets usually fit, too.

Talking

YEah I tried one of those. used a lite coat of oil like the Carlyle manual said. Leaked like a sieve, so i got a different fiber type gasket and did the same thing and viola' fixed. So now after rewiring and replacing the hot gas solenoid valve-seriously grooved valve body. Should be good to go. Will know better this afternoon. Thanks for the input
    CHeers