Thread: Stupid Roofer

Stupid Roofer

Caulked the darn doors shut.

R2B4BTU

Guess he had water come thru another roof unit once, and wasn't taking any chances........

Damn I just noticed he caulked ALL the way around the door too........

he really didn't want to have a leak thru that unit................not a real nice caulk job either

And it's the rubberized caulk....not very easy to cut away. I should order new doors so he can pay for them, maybe he'll think twice about doing this again.
    R2B4BTU

Quote Originally Posted by otto View Post
    And it's the rubberized caulk....not very easy to cut away. I should order new doors so he can pay for them, maybe he'll think twice about doing this again.
    Bostik 900 chem-caulk, good stuff except when you have to remove it. Hope he left the drain trap alone. They usually remove them.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Them stupid roofers do that mess around here all the time,last one I saw doing it got the tounge lashing of a lifetime.
    Look to the past to learn;look forward to live.

Coach Dean E. Smith

The worst thing Ive heard of is they somehow blocked the flu vent and killed the HO.
    Another is that they dumped tar down the sewer vent plugging up the system.

Maybe there brain gets fried being on the hot roof all day
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

Maybe that is how they do it in Mexico where roofers come from.

Talking

"Stupid roofer" is redundant.
    GO DAWGS!

I have a nice sharp gasket scraper in my toolbag just for special situations like this one. It would make short work of that caulk hack in no time.

On a side note: I've been using this stuff called Geocel 2300. It's a tripolymer sealant that works friggin great. So well in fact, that I'll never touch another tube of caulk till I die unless I'm just tossing it in the garbage . It'll literally adhere to anything and it lasts forever. It's avail in a ton of colors and clear.(The clear is just that, clear like glass). You use mineral spirits and not spit or water on your finger to tool it out and the end result is pretty strong, but it won't crack from movement or vibration. Stretch on it is like 500%.

Pretty good stuff if any of you have a problem job where caulk keeps leaking thru, or needs to be replaced once and a while. This stuff will fix the problem. It's about 7 bucks a tube from construction supply places like lumberyards and so forth.

Thumbs up Roofmonkeys

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch77 View Post
    Maybe that is how they do it in Mexico where roofers come from.
    You ought to see 'em out here in AZ...Can't swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting at least three of 'em!!

Sometimes roofers don't know what the h*ll they are caulking. Had issues with some 16 year old Carrier RTU's that constantly started leaking. Problem was not with the units themselves but with the seal between the unit and curb. Water would run down the unit, down along rails and seep through the dry-rotted seal on the curb. Could only reseal what you could get to, not directly behind the rails unless unit was lifted off of curb and new sealing material installed. Roofers have the right idea, but sometimes do not understand how the covers have the angle formed to keep water out. And cutting the crap they use is sometimes a complete hassle--especially if they used roof muck.
    Psalm 51:10, 12

I would Charge EXTRA. That sucks