Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    that was a gas n go

the end

Quote Originally Posted by ableactech View Post
    Ok, so I pull up on a call today, customer saying his system would not cool. As I pulled in the driveway I see this (see photo) , I knocked on the door, and told him to call someone else, he actually had the nerve to ask why I would not do the call.
    whats the big deal, i would jump on that thing in a heart beat. It was probably an easy fix like a bad fan motor or cap. Are you sure it wasn't the end and you were just lazy

I wouldn't have touched it either! Then again I don't er WON'T do residential.

Yes. you touch it you own it.

It's not about wether or not it's my decision as a tech. to make the decision as to accept the job or not, MY butt is gonna be on the line after I touch it!

That job could cost a company ALOT of $$ and headache.

I feel sorry for the homeowner but, If I were to work on that unit the costumer would get a quote to correct ALL install problems BEFORE! I even attempt to fix it.

Take my comments with a grain of salt cause I had a bad day, I'd honestly walk away if that unit is infact sitting on it's side.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, for the ungratefull, have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Refrigeration is all the same weather your making Ice, refrigerating or freezing the product.

SO i guess the homeowner put that in ????

Hmm

I'd have taken a look at it, if just to find all the problems and try to sell the homeowner a new system to replace that geriatric piece of garbage. Crediting the cost of the service call to get them running to the purchase of a new install is a no-brainer; that always seems to be a good selling point. I don't sell anyone a new system when they don't need it (and scorn techs who do); likewise, I never walk away from an opportunity to sell one, unless I think that, for any number of reasons, it's not in my company's interests to have a business relationship with that specific customer.

I started as an apprentice in 1996. In that time, I can only think of two jobs that I walked away from. One was a Chinese buffet restaurant in Lubbock, TX. When it became obvious to me that the customer was going to insist on haggling over the cost of everything, I did the bare minimum necessary to get all of the rooftop units running, got my ticket signed and got the hell out of there. I could've done a lot more work, but I wasn't going to risk throwing my boss's money away on a skin flint customer, and he agreed.

The only other time that I walked away from a job was when a basement had flooded in an office building in Houston. The leasing office manager wanted me to walk through a foot of water to turn off the water chillers. Apparently one has to be certifiably insane to be a manager at his company.

For all the "You touched it, you own it" people, I wholeheartedly agree. Obviously if you worked on their piece of junk two weeks ago, the fact that it broke again must be your fault and has nothing to do with the fact that the only maintenance the unit gets is break-down maintenance. This just underscores the need for something that I've always felt a lot of techs overlook -- writing good service tickets. My goal with a service ticket is to spell out exactly what I did on the service call so that the service manager or another tech can look at it, tell exactly what I did, and be able to be properly respond in case of a phone call from an irate customer. I don't care if the customer can't tell what I did from the service ticket; I explain it to them as I hand them the ticket, anyway, so the more important part is having that service ticket airtight. That's one of the first things I teach a newbie apprentice. It seems to work well for me, since I routinely have the fewest callbacks in my service department (one last summer; damn McDonald's juicers).

All that being said, God do I hate residential work. I'm so glad to be in Houston again so that I can be strictly a commercial tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Milk man View Post
    Is that one of those York with the double shaft CFM?
    yes i would say that is the york double shaft fan motor condensing unit(we always called it a horse shoe style unit). i worked on 2 of these this summer. fan motor is expensive. most people clean the outside of the coil when the fan blades actually pull air in and discharge it out the coil which means the inside of the unit is usually stopped up 50% to 90%. they were a good unit.

dogboy

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345