Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    [QUOTE=Jack2007;2062244]There IS a barometric damper.
    __________________________________________________ ___________
    ??????
    Then why did the contractor who sealed the ducts suggest you to look into having a barometric damper vented to ????? the outside?

some questions for you :
    What type of heating was installed before you went to an oil furnace?

Did the same chimney take all the fumes out then?

Has the chimney been altered recently or re-routed ?

Have you tried adding a few feet more in heigth to it?

Is a proper (down draft preventer) cap installed ?

Knowing the answers to these above questions will help us make proper suggestions on how to eliminate your problem.

no offense but

Quote Originally Posted by Jack2007 View Post
    There IS a barometric damper.
    At this point it seems you are just dragging us around..........call your oil contractor and have them set it up........

carrier oil burners

i worked for an authorized carrier dealer doing service for years. i can tell you that carrier oil burners will operate at a +.01 to +.03 over the fire while its running. i've tried every possibe thing to get a neg. pressure over the fire while burner is running ie. draft inducers, stainless flue liners closing the barametric completely, none of these will completely stop the smell of fumes coming from burner. carrier tech support will tell you that positive pressure over the fire while the unit runs is completely normal and infact how it is designed to operate. im not sure what kind of heat you had before, but i find customers that were using gas for years and are not used to the smell of an oil burner will really have trouble adjusting to the odor. best of luck with your endeavors. btw, i highly doubt that you will get rid of the fumes 100%.

Then why did the contractor who sealed the ducts suggest you to look into having a barometric damper vented to ????? the outside?
    He seemed to think if there was NO opening (barometric damper which IS installed) from the furnace to the basement but VENTING the barometric damper to the outside instead, then there would be NO possibility of fumes in the basement.
    some questions for you :
    What type of heating was installed before you went to an oil furnace? OIL
    Did the same chimney take all the fumes out then? YES

Has the chimney been altered recently or re-routed ? NO

Have you tried adding a few feet more in heigth to it? NO

Is a proper (down draft preventer) cap installed ? There is a "screened" chimney cap.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacguru69 View Post
    i worked for an authorized carrier dealer doing service for years. i can tell you that carrier oil burners will operate at a +.01 to +.03 over the fire while its running. i've tried every possibe thing to get a neg. pressure over the fire while burner is running ie. draft inducers, stainless flue liners closing the barametric completely, none of these will completely stop the smell of fumes coming from burner. carrier tech support will tell you that positive pressure over the fire while the unit runs is completely normal and infact how it is designed to operate. im not sure what kind of heat you had before, but i find customers that were using gas for years and are not used to the smell of an oil burner will really have trouble adjusting to the odor. best of luck with your endeavors. btw, i highly doubt that you will get rid of the fumes 100%.
    I did have oil previously with no problems.

Did you try to run a pipe "enclosing" the barometric damper to the outside as well as air intake from the outside to the furnace ??

Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    YES, BUT YOU STLL NEED A NEG DRAFT AT BREECH.
    That's what I meant by 'flue draft', taken between outlet collar (breech) of the furnace and the draft regulator. You didn't have to yell.

The damper needs to be in the same pressure zone as the furnace and should not be 'vented' to outside. Is there a combustion air supply installed? Sounds like your house may have slight negative pressure. Any exhaust fans, dryers, range hoods etc. running?

hvacguru is correct about being designed to have a positive over fire draft. We're a Carrier dealer too and I just installed a hybrid-heat system with oil backup last week. IIRC it had .65gph noz and we put in a ss liner. OFD was +.005 to +.01, and breech/flue at -.03. There was a 6" pipe for outside combustion air from the old oil furnace that we left in as the furnace was in a 'room' about 5'X8'.
    Where are you? Are you done yet? I got ONE more call for you.....

Lets bottom line it here fellas. This poat has gotten so twisted and tagled that im not sure what the original problem was. It seems ther are fumes in the basement. The numbers seem to crunch at -.02 over fire and -.04 fiue while firing. Which equals no fume from where I sit half loaded on Guinnius on this beuatiful cold New Hampshire night.
    Ihen he says cold air is coming down the flue when its not firing. So where are the fumes coming from.Certainly not from the COLD FRESH AIR THAT IS SUPPOSIDLY COMING DOWN THE FLUE. Thr fume are not coming out the damper because a positive pressure would close it. My personal opinion is a residule oil smell he is sensitive to after a change out. But then again, I might just be loaded.

Has anything been added or changed in any other part of the house just before you took notice to the fumes.

If you have a fireplace. Is it possible the damper is not closed right.
    Or a stuck damper on a bathroom exhaust fan, or kitchenhood.
    An attic access door that isn't closed right.
    Someone leaving a window cracjed open for fresh air.

All of these could cause a draft into the house, that is greater then the draft of the chimney when it is cold.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

asside from draft tests has anyone checked and certified the chimmey. Your old furnace ran a flue temp of about 600 or more degrees and the new one is much lower. You may need a linner or has a restriction in the chimmey.

Has anyone check for a negative pressure in the house that is pulling air down the chimmey.

you realy need someone to come out and look at the whole pisture and not just the draft

Make sure the barometric tee is ajusted, or if its in the correct spot and position. Clean the boiler out. check the chimney out. you now what just call a oil tech so he can set it up right!

Quote Originally Posted by Rlattime3 View Post
    Lets bottom line it here fellas. This poat has gotten so twisted and tagled that im not sure what the original problem was. It seems ther are fumes in the basement. The numbers seem to crunch at -.02 over fire and -.04 fiue while firing. Which equals no fume from where I sit half loaded on Guinnius on this beuatiful cold New Hampshire night.
    Ihen he says cold air is coming down the flue when its not firing. So where are the fumes coming from.Certainly not from the COLD FRESH AIR THAT IS SUPPOSIDLY COMING DOWN THE FLUE.
    The oil guy who investigated the complaint suspected when the furnace first fired, the exhaust would "clash with the cold air coming down the chimney" pushing fumes out the barometric damper.
    Thr fume are not coming out the damper because a positive pressure would close it. My personal opinion is a residule oil smell he is sensitive to after a change out. But then again, I might just be loaded.
    The barometric damper has a 1/4 inch space around the "flapper" (for want of a better word). It is also 8 to 10 inches from the furnace, where the original was close to the chimney.

Question #1. Did you have a downdraft problem previously (prior to the new furnace)?
    Question #2. Have you done anything to the house recently to seal it up tighter (new windows, insulation, etc.)?
    Question #3. Have you added any type of exhaust fans (kitchen, bathroom)
    Question #4. Has the chimney been thoroughly inspected for defects (mortor joints, bird nests, broken flue tile, tree branchs over head)?
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

jack. do you have a regular oil guy, that you buy your oil from...............just a suggestion you may want to call them.........

and if you don't you may want to buy your oil and a service contract from an Oil Dealer.

let your fingers do the walking ...........................

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast