ammonia systems leaks???

I am having a problem with an ammonia system and leaks. I am starting to leak at some of my joints where i have gaskets. ive had this problem before, when i took apart the joints the gaskets looked like they had shrunk. I just replaced the seals and went on. now 2 yrs. down the road the same seals are leaking. is the lubricant in the system the problem? this job isnt mine anymore however im getting some calls from the customer asking questions. any thoughts.

Guess there isn't many ammonia techs to answer your question. Good luck & be sure to post any results you may come across.

Ammonia will not cause gaskets to deform. Things that may are:
    extreme temperatures below -60F or above 300F
    acids and or water
    physical deformation (perhaps from liquid hammer)
    and possibly oil

Is it on the compressor, pressure regulator, suction, discharge, recirc, oil... is it a flange gasket?

As with all other topics, with more information, the better answer you can get. But if you don't get the answer you need from here, call the package manufacturer (mycom, york, or whoever).

Always oil your gaskets before you put them on, especially on a hot gas or dicharge line. The higher temps will cause them to become brittle and dried out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jangles View Post
    Always oil your gaskets before you put them on, especially on a hot gas or dicharge line. The higher temps will cause them to become brittle and dried out.
    I would agree with Jangles, I have had this happen on an expansion valve. I replaced the gasket and a month or two later it leaked by and it became very brittle. I oiled the next one and haven't had any problems since. < This expansion has a hot gas line that comes in right after it so you can imagine that it sees a large temperature range every day.

a good note for all ammonia gaskets..try to cover them with a Steel based anti seize, it will lubricate them and also prevent them from "cooking" on with the high discharge line temperatures. However..DO NOT use a copper based anti seize, as ammonia eats copper for lunch.