Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huffing Freon.lol.

Post Likes

Huffing Freon.lol.

I went to a call today Customer wanted me to check the freon levels on his system.When i got to the job he had told me that he was going to work this morning,and saw a homeless man passed out next to the condenser with a paperbag in his hands and the caps off the unit.He called the cops and they got him, he could hardly talk,but i never had a call like that,im just in shock of how stupid people can be. anyone else run into this before?lol........

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jweig20 View Post
    I went to a call today Customer wanted me to check the freon levels on his system.When i got to the job he had told me that he was going to work this morning,and saw a homeless man passed out next to the condenser with a paperbag in his hands and the caps off the unit.He called the cops and they got him, he could hardly talk,but i never had a call like that,im just in shock of how stupid people can be. anyone else run into this before?lol........

You bet its not that uncommon. There are locking covers for the access valves available threw many wholesalers.
    A good friend of mine ( Steve Braley) developed them five or six years ago.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    I have heard of people doing it but to have a customer see someone passed out by the condenser,that was crazy.I know they got the locking caps.but if they want it bad enough they will get it....

Post Likes
    In supermarkets with leak detectors, we occasionally get what amounts to a phantom alarm. Big spike in level without an evident leak.

Never proven it, but suspect employees huffing.

Post Likes
    some crazy people out there wow.

Post Likes
    My friend ( at the time he was a TM for Carrier/Bryant in Southern Calif.serving Palm Springs/ Palm Desert )developed the safety caps because of a large amount of leakey systems where no leaks could be found. Guess what they weren't leaking.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    huffing refrigerant is nothing new.....

went to a vocational high school over 30 yrs ago and there was always a dumb @ss passing out from it.

could not get it through their thick skulls that holding their breath would give the same result.........

Post Likes
    good friends son died from it 20yrs ago....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jweig20 View Post
    I hope the EPA fines him for discharging freon without a license

Post Likes
    It's kinda like the banks having there pens chained down and the vault wide open, now we need to take the safety caps off the prescription meds and put safety caps on all the spray paint and condenser units, Refigerators, freezers......

Post Likes
    I huff it daily. The propellant in asthma inhalers is refrigerant look on the label dichlorodifluoromethane.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buttwheat View Post
    I huff it daily. The propellant in asthma inhalers is refrigerant look on the label dichlorodifluoromethane.
    It is being phased out at the end of 2008 and will be replaced with a more eco-friendly (and more expensive) propellant. I use Albuterol as needed.

Post Likes
    Well if they want a real thrill they should try huffin the refrigerant after it has passed through a flame. Might be the last one they have. Of course this does not include the medical use of refrigerant.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    It is being phased out at the end of 2008 and will be replaced with a more eco-friendly (and more expensive) propellant. I use Albuterol as needed.
    Yes they are changing it to 134a which qualifies it as a reformulation so there is no more generics.(well at least for another 3 years)

Post Likes
    You take this for what it's worth cause I got it second hand.

I worked with a guy my rookie year, didn't become friends but would see him around the supply house when i started my biz.

Cut to the chase my sheet metal guy told me one of his contractor customers found this guy in the company van with a jug of R22 fallen on it side and hose down the guy's throat.

My sheet metal guy told me the guy who i used to work with had passed out and knocked the R22 jug over and froze his lungs.

I guess it's possible .....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    I hope the EPA fines him for discharging freon without a license
    there's a license available so I can discharge freon? where to i sign up

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    there's a license available so I can discharge freon? where to i sign up
    You see a guy at the EPA. His name is D. Min Imus.

Post Likes
    thats one pricy high, free for the user

Post Likes
    With the price of freon sniffers may as well resort to real hard core drugs but let them snif. Its job security.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buttwheat View Post
    Yes they are changing it to 134a which qualifies it as a reformulation so there is no more generics.(well at least for another 3 years)

I have a can of that that I bought from Wal Mart sitting in my garage..

Back to the topic though,

I was close friends with a guy that found out he could get "high" from refrigerant and was huffing from any condenser possible, we found him one night (after stealing refrigerant from a service truck) passed out in some random yard with the can in his hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in