Yorkshire Pudding

Okay Spotts. I made a new thread. I heard of Yorkshire pudding in some Christmas carol or something like that.

But I never had it, don't know what it is or how to make it. So spill it Mister.

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    Okay Spotts. I made a new thread. I heard of Yorkshire pudding in some Christmas carol or something like that.

But I never had it, don't know what it is or how to make it. So spill it Mister.

I liked cooking and eating it. Almost no effort. Easy peezy japaneezey. It's a gravy tasting kinda gooey biscuit. Heres the recipe I used. from http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/ClassicPrimeRib.htm

Yorkshire Pudding:
    A traditional English side dish to Prime rib is Yorkshire Pudding, a puffy pop-over like pastry.

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 eggs, room temperature
    3/4 cup milk, room temperature
    1/2 cup pan drippings from roast prime rib of beef (beef juices and oil)

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. In a large bowl, sift together the flour and salt. In another bowl, beat together the eggs and milk until light and foamy. Stir in the flour/salt mixture just until incorporated. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least two (2) hours (for best results, refrigerate overnight).

NOTE: Traditionally Yorkshire Pudding is made in one large dish. For individual servings, I have found it is much easier to prepare them in muffin tins or popover pans. You be the judge of how you would like to serve them.

Pour the drippings into your baking pan or muffin tins of choice. Put the pan in oven and get the drippings smoking hot (about 5 minutes). Carefully take the pan out of the oven.

Remove cold batter from the refrigerator. Whisk the batter thoroughly to break down any lumps and add some more air. Quickly pour the batter into the pan/pans on top of the hot drippings.

Put the pan back in oven and cook until puffed and dry, approximately 15 to 20 minutes. NOTE: Do not open door during baking.

Remove from oven and serve hot with your Prime Rib Roast.

Makes approximately 6 individual popovers (depending on size of pans).
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Serve with roasted potatos and brussel sprouts also. For afters, serve a nice sherry triffle or treacle pudding.

Pudding after pudding? I'll serve whiskey.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Hmmmm.... I'll have to give those puppies a rip.

I wonder if you could make some "drippings" using some beef boullion and a little oil ?

Generally we only have prime rib roast when we have company. I think I'd like to practice a batch of them before I'd unlease them on my guests.

Of course ya could.
    Walter Matthau

Best with Roast Beef - Gravy is made from the meat juices in the tray, boiling water, seasoning and some cornflour (1 teaspoon in water in a mug mixed in). Add water to the pan of meat juices when it is NOT BOILING. Add well stirred cornflour and water mixture and a bit of stock/stock cube and slowly bring to the boil. mixture will thicken and reduce if you do it right then strain and keep warm.
    You need lashings of this over all your meat, roast spuds and Yorkies.

Include sprouts at your own risk!!!!.

Bazza
    gnomethang

My test run was a success. I ordered a 5 rib roast, usda prime, dry aged for X-mas. I'm already hungry for it.
    Walter Matthau

I will try is as well. Usually use all the juice for meat topping. The rub and juice should make the "biscuts" great. Thanks
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post

Come over to Ct for the best yorkshire around. You are welcome here anytime!
    My Bride (English) makes the stuff every week. She makes it better than in the picture, not very gooey at all. Almost like a fried dough but better. need to be sure to pre-heat the pan very well before placing the dough in it. Then watch carefully or they burn.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Yup, I watched the oven full time with the light on. They rise quick. Fun to watch.
    Walter Matthau

spotts, I spent six years in England. Had many a memoriable meal. Spotted Dick, Bubble and Squeek, Toad in the Hole just to name a few. Sunday was the special meal. Beef, Sprouts, Yorkshire Pudding and Roasted potatos. That was followed with something covered in Birds Custard. Yum. My wife still cooks those meals and we left England 28 years ago.

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    2 room temp eggs
    1 cup flour
    1 cup room temp milk
    pinch of salt.....

preheat pan at 450
    splash pan with beef drippings

pour mixture in pan

bake 10 minutes at 450....then

bake 10 minutes at 350...
    It's Time To Be Nice To People