Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Layoffs in NYC (ARE THEY COMING)???

I recently passed my operating engineers licencing exam .........IM new to the field and starting to look for work. With the economy the way it is im wondering what the job market looks like right now

THX \
    Anthony

i work for one of the larger shops right now, enough contract work doing pms to keep us busy for the mean time. the only noticeable affect to the economy is having is all the overtime is basically squashed. ive done 5 hours in the last 3 months.

When you say one of the larger shops do you mean you work for a private contractor ???? doing service work for building management companys???? Or are you a stationary engineer??

thx
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyHVAC View Post
    When you say one of the larger shops do you mean you work for a private contractor ???? doing service work for building management companys???? Or are you a stationary engineer??

thx
    Anthony
    You guys just voted in a big raise...i havent heard of any layoffs in ur field...maybe a hiring freeze...

check out the BAs on their site giving comments.building managers might be looking at the bodies on each of the shifts and looking to cut back.might consider doing service with an OEM,and get into the buildings thru them and making contacts. http://www.local94.com/
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

i got messed up i thought he was local 30....

the buildings in the outer suburbs are more Local #30,the city is 99% Local #94 that i've seen while i worked for the OEMs......six on the days with a chief ,2-3 on nights,2 on the midnights greasing motors and doinng filters.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyHVAC View Post

thx
    Anthony
    private contractor, local 638

AnthonyHVAC........

consider many buildings in the city either run large chillers or self contained per floor and their total tonnages will be like 2500 tons,with VAV boxes,filters,pumps,large towers up top.the work you would be doing with those 2 different type of buildings is like day and night.many 638B shops aren't allowed in the bigger building due to past performances,and it is a very political thing $$$$$ who does service(building managers and HVAC owners) in the hi-rises with self contained units and multiple compressors per floor.the larger chillers down in the basements are covered by the manufacturers and a handfull of smaller shops with big tonnage types.the new Freedom Tower down in the Ground Zero site is going to be McQuay's 80 ton self contained units with 3 to 4 per floor 90 stories being fed from the Hudson River for the condensers.638 A/B will be in there on the installs and start ups but Local 94 will be the in house engineers and call in McQuay for service.

Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    consider many buildings in the city either run large chillers or self contained per floor and their total tonnages will be like 2500 tons,with VAV boxes,filters,pumps,large towers up top.the work you would be doing with those 2 different type of buildings is like day and night.many 638B shops aren't allowed in the bigger building due to past performances,and it is a very political thing $$$$$ who does service(building managers and HVAC owners) in the hi-rises with self contained units and multiple compressors per floor.the larger chillers down in the basements are covered by the manufacturers and a handfull of smaller shops with big tonnage types.the new Freedom Tower down in the Ground Zero site is going to be McQuay's 80 ton self contained units with 3 to 4 per floor 90 stories being fed from the Hudson River for the condensers.638 A/B will be in there on the installs and start ups but Local 94 will be the in house engineers and call in McQuay for service.
    right on the money, there really arent that many shops the in 638b that due higher tonnage chiller work outside of the typical manufacturers.youre also right about 94 doing all the work on their equipment, but it that can vary with building management.

my shop does most of the hvac work for silverstein. in the smaller buildings we do everything, except the steam boilers. in the larger ones, we mostly do repair work, retrofits and rebuilds and the occasional . 7wtc we have a guy there 2 days a week to babysit the engineers while they do maintenance

that 7 WTC sounds like a nice gig for the 2 days they will always have some thing they log and say lets wait for the 638B guy to come in.many bigger shops have guys in buildings along with 94s.BP was looking to put a tech in the GOOGLE offices 40 hours a week(old ABCO on W16th)mint job nice machine rooms all self-contained they had like 4-5 floors from W15th/W16th....8th to 9th open free cafaterias....nice scenery.i was doing Mutual of America E51st and Park(opposite St.Bart's)Trane/Sims they had 2 chillers in their when it was ITT,they ripped it down to the beams and slid in 2500 tons of Trane SWUDs/VFDs nice install by Sims/Heritage.they approched me to flip to 94 from 638B .....not test or practical giving up the truck wasn't in the plans and the politics of the managers there scared me away rather be on a roof in the snow doing heat!just like you see in your daily work day,and i hope ANTHONY sees/reads here the building and equipment within will dictated how far you will be able to move around building to building.those 94 guys are always working for a better deal in hours/chiefs/fellow workers......ETC.i'll take service anyday cowboy'g around the city and talking to all the different customers you meet. as long as they keep putting in jobs like this 94 and 638 will always have work this job here was 100% water side economizing at 45F supplied water in the winter

yea max, i agree with going around the city meeting all the different customers.
    however i do miss the stability of being stationary.

i plan on fighting to get back downtown for this spring/summer again after being in midtown for the last year and a half.

i talk to the guy who goes the 7 world every week, and yes, its friggin cake there.

is Silverstein is doing the Freedom Tower? heard on here that they are going with Mcquay self-contained......maybe an office with a secretery for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast