Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Customer messing with orifices and gas pressur... do YOUR customers do this?

A very old/unusual residence for Arizona:

The new Propane tank that was installed for our Dual-Fuel setup:

The outdoor unit runs just fine down to the point where we have it set to switch over to the gas furnace:

I checked this one out myself because my installers swore when they left it was running fine. The manufacturer supplies #56 steel orifices for LP at this elevation.

So where did these come from:

I said to the customer: "You know, these orifices aren't even available from my distributor, and they don't come with this unit. It's kind of odd that they're here..."

Customer: "Oh... well, I have this buddy who gave me some orifices..."

It turned out the "buddy" was the Propane guy. NOT a licensed HVAC contractor.

PS if you want to know the difference between 1.10 and #56, look here:
    http://www.andersonforrester.com/ori...s/default.html
    This is what happens when I take photos of things OTHER than bad A/C installations:
    Arizona. Photographed: http://community.webshots.com/album/563042864aIFjqw

Good thing you caught that before the heat exchanger melted. Shhhshhhhh!

You ream the HO good or no?

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    Good thing you caught that before the heat exchanger melted.
    you would not of had enough air to melt things, but it sure would of sooted things up!

what were they trying to accomplish? a more expensive lp bill?

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    you would not of had enough air to melt things, but it sure would of sooted things up!

LOL ..I know, and heat exchanger don't melt either...was just being dramatic. But wow, the soot would be killer and eat out the heat exchanger too!

Whats he trying to accomplish with the adjustment he made?

Mine like that was where the customer constantly adjusted the air shutters on the burner tubes and then bent the pilot light every which way but close enough to light when the gas valve opens, and it's a spark to pilot system.
    We got a no heat call from him one winters day and I was the lucky tech to go out there. At this point I knew absolutely nothing about this customer's proclivities so, I go into the basement and begin to do my troubleshooting.
    I try to make the furnace light up but, I get spark but no pilot. Check the pilot and find the ignitor is too far away from the pilot orifice to get a flame. Get it adjusted and get a pilot flame. Now, I get no main flame so, I'm looking through to find the reason, I had already found the air shutters not in a good position but, I've got to have fire to adjust them, some were closed and some were open in different stages.
    My searching locates the TH/TR wire was not connected strongly to the valve terminals so, I tighten them and fire it again.
    I get the spark, I get the pilot and then the main flame and all heck breaks loose!
    The owner had been fooling with the furnace himself and managed to get the floor of the basement filled with a large quantity of LP gas so, when I got the main flame, a sheet of flame comes rolling across the basement floor right through me and the exits are not really accessible at that point. Fortunately no damage was done to anyone or anything. HO was not home and his wife wasn't aware of his "fixings".
    Back at the shop I relate my tale of whoa to all there and I am now informed that the HO likes to play like he's a tech and make adjustments to the furnace, the water heater, the AC system, the well pump and so on until he goofs something up and then calls my boss who keeps sending one of us to unscrew his screwups.
    Why the boss didn't drop him is beyond me but, I don't work there anymore.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

Lol..Your tale of "WOE" sure had a lot of WWWWWWWHOAAAAAAAA!!! value when the furnace lite off.

To tell the truth I think I would have filed charges of reckless endangerment against the SOB. If your boss keeps him as a customer then he needs to be forced into taking some propane handling safety courses.

1.10 milimeters is actually halfway between a #56 and a #57 orifice. It would perform just fine more than likely. Depending on AGUE ratings, some manufacturers must use MM orifices to get the rating they are after. To be exact, it is closer to a #56 than a #57. You are refering to the wrong table. You need to look at a milimeter to drill size table.
    Sound installation practices is the key to success. Equipment is only as good as the person installing it.

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

I meant to write AFUE ratings,sorry. I should proof read before sending.
    Sound installation practices is the key to success. Equipment is only as good as the person installing it.

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

Quote Originally Posted by TMH58 View Post
    1.10 milimeters is actually halfway between a #56 and a #57 orifice. It would perform just fine more than likely. Depending on AGUE ratings, some manufacturers must use MM orifices to get the rating they are after. To be exact, it is closer to a #56 than a #57. You are refering to the wrong table. You need to look at a milimeter to drill size table.
    Hell, I thought that was 1.10"

Better brush up on orifice size

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    Hell, I thought that was 1.10"

Better brush up on orifice size
    1.1" ?!?!?

"FIRE IN THE HOLE!"

Chim-chiminy, chim-chiminy, chim-chim-kaboom!

I guess that gives away the fact I do little LP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast