Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Loonie's new goodies

While the job is nothing special, figured this would be best place to post. Hope nobody thinks it belongs on the WOS Most of the work was done by 2 desk jockeys. Fortunately Ernie used to install way back when (before his back gave out) and remembered how to do some tight tin.

15 year old XV80. Sold to me by A-S supplier in A-S box but Trane sticker on it like many in its day. And the lying Trane dealers telling our customers A-S was inferior But anyway, 15 years later all I've done to it is pull a bird from the inducer. I think the ignitor finally failed end of last season. Didn't burn much and almost all on low fire. Oversized but the 60K variable speed wasn't available then. Most of the heating except the first season was done by the heat pump. Since many expensive components were well up there in age, figured if I kept it, the pricey repair bills were coming soon.

My beloved King. This thing can pour out the heat. Never seen a model like it. Ratings better than many of today's 13 SEER units. But alas, it done sprung a couple of leaks, probably from overuse! I keep it COLD in the summer.

So worked out a deal with my buddy the Tappan (formerly Rheem & King) distributor for one of his new systems!

95.1% AFUE, 2 stage gas furnace with variable speed blower. One of the new shorties. This sucker is quiet, can hardly hear it on low standing right in front of it. Still oversized so won't use high much. These furnace makers just don't like to make high end furnaces in tiny capacities for tiny, tight homes. My friend the tinman built a slot in the return for a Honeywell media. In the old setup, it was stuck in the EAC cabinet with cardboard on the front to keep the cold out.

And outside a 14 SEER/8.5 HSPF heat pump. 1db noisier than the King but after I put a cover on the scroll, that should put them similar. Remember that model Rheem had the scroll in a metal box stuffed full of insulation. The new one has a swept wing fan blade so you can't even hear that. Only standard line on the market with that feature as far as I know. Wish it had demand defrost. So if you Nordyne engineers want to go more efficient, be glad to field test a new board! Love that line hide contraption. SO easy and looks sharp. A bit salty but I think labor savings and looks justify them. Can't convince our salesmen though.

What made you decide to go with inside combustion air Baldy?

I'm gonna stick a PVC pipe into the attic for combustion air, just haven't gotten a round tuit

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I'm gonna stick a PVC pipe into the attic for combustion air, just haven't gotten a round tuit
    Just curious why you are not going out the same wall as the exhaust.

Wouldn't the attic be a diff press zone then the exhaust? How do you avoid the problems that would cause?

Ran the vent through the roof, probably could have done a bazooka but they cost money. These dual certified furnaces don't complain about attic or inside air for combustion. If I went outside with both pipes and not in the same pressure zone, then I would expect a problem.

Got'cha. Thanks

Thumbs up

looks great...........as usual.

you guys staying busy?

what size is that flue pipe?
    &
    how many more 90's you got in it?

doesn't that ODU have any coil area on the side near the house?

good to see you changed the W/H flue.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    what size is that flue pipe?
    &
    how many more 90's you got in it?

doesn't that ODU have any coil area on the side near the house?

good to see you changed the W/H flue.
    Man even Baldy with 22k posts don't get no respect here

Don't think I'm ever gonna take a chance and post my work, don't think I could handle the stress LOL

2" flue pipe and barely squeaked by. Only 60K furnace. Yes, 4 sided coil and I'm a bit too close to the house but more room than on the old King. Not as bad as the picture makes it out to be though.

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    Man even Baldy with 22k posts don't get no respect here

Don't think I'm ever gonna take a chance and post my work, don't think I could handle the stress LOL
    just curious.....................
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Coleman
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Looks great. Did you take part in any of the installation?

What kind of coil was paired with the trusty old Rheem? Doesn't look like an OEM Rheem, but maybe they weren't green back then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast