Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 73Stingray View Post
    Hard to believe that just over 12 hrs ago I post that and all of a sudden out of the blue I get a call from a recruiter about a pipe fitter job in Alberta...
    Karma works in a weird ways..Maybe its fate!!!
    your a lucky man congratulations

I am currently working in Fort mac at a large plant. J-MAN rate is $40 for reefer guys. The shift is 5 on 5 off, 12 hour days. Your tasks are simply to maintain and repair HVAC Equipment ( make up airs, trailer furnaces, a/c), run of the mill type stuff. If you like to work hard- this is not the job for you. It is about as slack as you can possibly imagine. Camps are all different, some better then others. Food is usually pretty good, conditions are adequate, but it is definitely no 5 star hotel. Yesterday was supposed to be -26 C with the winchill, and - 40 will be expected before the winter is thru. There is no guaranteed overtime, but if you spend a year here you should expect to make minimum of 100 grand. Oil closed at $44 a barrel yesterday, the lowest in 4 years. If it drops below $40, some major cutbacks would be expected, many major projects have been put on hold already. In this particular job we are about as safe as you can be because those buildings till need to be heated, even iff production is slowed to a crawl. If you have any more questions, just ask.

Obviously there not hiring green guys are they?

in some cases they do. Try getting in touch with UA 488. they will pass out your resume for you, its not unheard of for green guys to get work.

I would be considered green, as I have < 1 yr of real world experience (10 months). But over the course of 2 years I have done all my technical schooling to allow me to write for my G2 fitter license in about 4 weeks from now.

I know things are a little different up in ft mac. I am supposed to be somewhere around the Southern part of AB (Calgary and Red Deer).
    I am told this is for a "pipefitter" job but I am not 100% sure what they are expecting, I will find out more this coming week.

Quote Originally Posted by penetr8or View Post
    in some cases they do. Try getting in touch with UA 488. they will pass out your resume for you, its not unheard of for green guys to get work.
    You are quite fortunate to be making the huge dough up there...From what I have researched the big ones are really good. I will assume that you are at Suncor, CNRL or Opti?

Appreciate all the input from everyone.
    The guys from here in Ga are heading up in 3 weeks(thats gonna be a bit of climate change),will let you know what their experience is.
    GO DAWGS!

Are they going all the way up to fort mac? It is damn cold up there, even by our standards!!! I would think that the winter is especially brutal, as I believe they routinely get into the single digits in Fahrenheit. I am so americanized here that I would have a hard time reading the thermometer up there because apparently 26 is hot?? I hate celsius...And I bet only having access to Canadian content tv bites too.

Quote Originally Posted by 73Stingray View Post
    Are they going all the way up to fort mac? It is damn cold up there, even by our standards!!! I would think that the winter is especially brutal, as I believe they routinely get into the single digits in Fahrenheit. I am so americanized here that I would have a hard time reading the thermometer up there because apparently 26 is hot?? I hate celsius...And I bet only having access to Canadian content tv bites too.
    Yes I think they are,know it's going to be a huge shock.It rarely gets below freezing for more than a couple days here and there. Don't envy that work environment.....
    If they have closed captioning(in english) on the tv, may actually introduce them to a "funny soundin' " english.
    GO DAWGS!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12