Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

canada pipefitter /welder jobs?

Heard there is a call out for construction travelers for some of the shale oil sites ,anybody heard about them or other projects going on?

Some of my local members are headed up after the holidays,said they'll probably be living in camps;don't know what to expect(except its probably clean and people are courteous,and they have good beer).
    Can you shed some light?

Thanks
    GO DAWGS!

Aside from what I read in this month's UA Journal, no. It seems like there's lots of welder/fitter work to be had in Alberta on those sites.

Camp jobs in fort mac is pretty much the same pay as going to iraq lotsa money but it's damn cold up there.It's slowing down abit right know talk to 21 degrees he's always looking for people.

Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    Aside from what I read in this month's UA Journal, no. It seems like there's lots of welder/fitter work to be had in Alberta on those sites.

Thanks, I hadn't read mine,still working on Sept/Oct "vote" issue;good stuff in this latest.

The info in Nov issue article depicts a fantastic amount of work for this project.
    Wouldn't want to be anyone in the office at 488....gonna have some excedrin headache days am sure dealing with the influx of travelers.

Guess the Canadians are either more progressive than the US,or their shale oil is easier to get at. Believe the US has even more of it than Canada.
    Anyway the article was fascinating, but didn't see much about wages ,living conditions, off time amenities unfortunately.
    I know the steam process for oil extraction has been used here,but haven't heard anything near this scale of project in the US.

What I heard from the guys who are going there is you can
    work 7 10s ,sounds like a camp set up for living quarters.
    Assume its a clean comfortable room where they leave the light on for you.....

From what they were told, appears they treat you OK;will know more in a couple months after they get there.
    GO DAWGS!

Quote Originally Posted by nick982002 View Post
    Camp jobs in fort mac is pretty much the same pay as going to iraq lotsa money but it's damn cold up there.It's slowing down abit right know talk to 21 degrees he's always looking for people.
    Thanks for the info,will pass it on.

I have seen some posts from 21Degrees, assume he is more service? If he's invloved with a piping construction project, it might work out for these guys.
    GO DAWGS!

Typically in the patch you work 3 weeks in 1 week out. The money is good but its not that much better than working in bc or alberta . Most camps are dry at the big companies and the food is good got quite a few buddies up there working in all industries and they all say it sucks but pays. They are always trying to recruit guys cause we have a huge shortage of tradesman up here. Between the olympics and the patch we are spread pretty thin.

Quote Originally Posted by mustardman View Post
    Typically in the patch you work 3 weeks in 1 week out. The money is good but its not that much better than working in bc or alberta . Most camps are dry at the big companies and the food is good got quite a few buddies up there working in all industries and they all say it sucks but pays. They are always trying to recruit guys cause we have a huge shortage of tradesman up here. Between the olympics and the patch we are spread pretty thin.

Great info mustardman,will pass it on.Thanks.
    GO DAWGS!

Fort Mac is a dump and after a few weeks there you will want to kill yourself.
    Last edited by cold in alberta; 11-29-2008 at 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by cold in alberta View Post
    Fort Mac is a dump and after a few weeks there you will want to kill yourself.
    Thanks for the laugh,and the info-will pass it on....
    GO DAWGS!

Things are Slowing Down A Bit

Fort Macmurray is a good place for someone to make money and it is not a resort. You can drink and go out to town which 1/2 hour. They do have rec center, bar, convient store, pool tables ETC. The pay is roughly I think $33.00 + 10% vacation pay. The camp holds about 4000 people. UA Local 488 is the hall. They were accepting travel cards last time I checked but a couple of projects have been put on the back burner temporary.
    Do it right the first time.

I wish i coulda gone up to mac or edmonton.

Do you think they would be hiring any Gas Fitters from Ontario?? I would jump at the opportunity to go out West. I have heard that they will accept a G2 Gas Fitter from Ontario and then you can apply for a Alberta Class B with an interprovincial red seal, but I don't know if that is true or not.

Maybe 21 degrees can let me know!

Thumbs up

Hard to believe that just over 12 hrs ago I post that and all of a sudden out of the blue I get a call from a recruiter about a pipe fitter job in Alberta...
    Karma works in a weird ways..Maybe its fate!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast