Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quadrafire Help!

I bought my Quadrafire Mount Vernon insert back in Nov of 2006. Last week I started getting continuous Vacuum Sw Errors. Usually a hard boot of the system fixes this. It got progressively worse. Now I'm getting misfires and it looks like my igniter is out. I called the local dealer for Quadrafire where I bought the stove. They have me booked for December 9th. So that will be roughly 3 weeks ill be without heat before the tech even gets onsite. Then from everything I'm reading it sounds like it will be summer before parts come in. Not only that my two year warranty should be up by the time the tech gets here. Thanks QF. I've been very upset with the quality of this stove. I purchased 2 and have had nothing but problems with them. This is compounded by poor service from the dealer. Enough about my woes. What can do I in the interim?

Is there a way to jumper around the Vaccum Sw error? I read somewhere that there is a way I can jumper this to see if it's the problem with the unit or if it's a software error in the mainboard. Ill dig up the mainboard info and post it when I get home.

About the igniter, what can I do there? Manually light the unit? I dont run the stove when I'm not home so from a safety standpoint this shouldnt be an issue. Also, is there a way I can check the igniter to see if its ok or dirty?

Also, is there anything else on this unit I can check, clean or do to?Any help to get my xxxx paper weight going so we have heat this thanksgiving would be great. Thanks everyone!
    Cheers,
    Bingo
    Last edited by Senior Tech; 12-02-2008 at 07:12 AM.

Listen - You are down to the BBB, UL and whatever other agency sticker is on this machine. You should complain to them all including your state regulatory agency on appliances. EDIT-- It's got to be the customers who start writing letters to get something going here.

This industry is nearly 100% completely ridiculous run by a bunch of total jerks. Like I said before, there are about 5 actual professional techs in the US, one is retired in Seattle, one is in Wisconsin, one spends too much time fear mongering on this site (but his heart is in it), and I don't know where the other two live. So, basically you are screwed on service.

Quadrafire doesn't care about you, their dealer(use this term very loose), or their product once they kick it out the door. I think they spend more time laughing and drinking about the poor slobs like you that purchase their stuff.

They don't provide enough documentation for a competent HVAC tech to step right in and fix your unit properly. Further, even if that competent HVAC tech diagnoses the problem he is going to be totally screwed when it comes time to try to obtain parts for your oversized paperweight.

So, practice bending over so when your "technician" (ROFLMAO--- really) shows up he won't solve your problems. However, you won't really know that until the second visit because it will probably be three more weeks until the wrong parts arrive. Then it will be December 30th (EDIT Merry Christmas right) which means they wind down for New Years. A week after that when they have dried out from the celebration they can maybe order some more parts (because they are parts changer hacks) that puts you to January 26th. Definitely let me know if it turns out any different than that. EDIT-- I will concede that it is mathematically possible for there to be a sixth competent tech in the US.

All right... now that you are prepped on the total garbage service you will get let me tell you how this stove probably runs. ( I have a Castille, not a Mt.Vernon)

Typical operation is like this:

On a call for heat the induced draft motor starts up. IF the safety pressure switch makes the auger can dump some pellets and the ignitor starts to glow.

So, a good technician would examine the exhaust and make sure the exhaust fan motor is running or running full speed. Next up any good technician would make sure there are no obstructions, ie, plugged up ash leading to the fan, or ash in the fan impeller. Then the good technician would check on the leaving side of the fan to make sure there are no dead animals, nests, etc... IF and only IF all that checks out do you check the pressure value to the switch and determine whether or not it's bad. Unfortunately, probably even the good techs don't have access to this information because the doofus manufacturer is probably too lame to give this information.

I do have to say that arbitrary switch jumping and attempts at manual lighting are all things your local Quadrafire dealer's "technicians" are prone to do. Don't try to tell your technician to employ these backwoods attempts at trying to solve a problem with your stove. Rather, try to use positive encouragement telling those wingnuts that they can be professionals if they try really, really hard.

I only read the initial post since so that's what I am replying to.

I can tell you the vac sw error was a problem discovered with the older control boards, happens in rare cases. It was fixed with the newest (Rev C) main board. This should be a no charge upgrade. Also it was discovered that over time the heat from the ignitor would actually kill it. There is a fix for this also. They need to drill a few holes in the ignitor housing and add a spacer to center it better. This should also be done no charge with a new ignitor for free.

You should make sure they are prepared to do these upgrades when they come, there is a tech bulletin for the ingitor upgrade from last year I think. You should also make sure they contact Quadrafire and open a case with them, letting them know of the problems.

See.... that's the good tech from Wisconsin.

Are you saying the shield on the ignitor didn't allow enough ventilation and the ignitor overheated?
    On the old boards, was it a problem with the input on the board, or is it an AI input and the pressure value does not have decent enough range?

Yes the housing around the ignitor trapped too much heat causing it to fail prematurely from what I gathered out of the bulletin.

With the VAC SW error I do not really know what they changed, I just know they fixed it. We replaced a board for the one customer who had this problem and I have not heard back from him so I assume that fixed it.

I used to install for a Quad factory owned retail shop. We put alot of Mt Vernon's in back in 06 and 07. The early models had issues and you should be able to get them fixed with a new control board and upgrade.

I don't remember too much but I could check with my uncle and see what he remembers.

And as far as being without heat I sincerely HOPE that you have a normal source of central heat. These heaters are space heaters. Supplemental heat only.

I cant tell you how many customers think that they could heat their whole house with a Mt Vernon just because it's a big girl.
    I will believe that the government is broke when the welfare checks start bouncing!!

Something tells me that Quadrafire doesn't advertise these as supplemental secondary heaters.

In fact they dont - this is from their site: "Its powerful engine can produce enough heat to softly warm your home day in and day out." Further: Heating capacity: 2,400 to 3,800 sq. ft.

I can't tell you how many customers think that the literature is actually correct.... Gee... do you think maybe your customers get their ideas from the literature and not because it's a "big girl"?

Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    Something tells me that Quadrafire doesn't advertise these as supplemental secondary heaters.

In fact they dont - this is from their site: "Its powerful engine can produce enough heat to softly warm your home day in and day out." Further: Heating capacity: 2,400 to 3,800 sq. ft.

I can't tell you how many customers think that the literature is actually correct.... Gee... do you think maybe your customers get their ideas from the literature and not because it's a "big girl"?
    Softly warm your home does not say heat your WHOLE HOUSE. Its a unit that sits in one room. Unless that whole house is open like a cabin then you have no duct to other rooms. And nowhere does it claim to be a central heat system. I think you're stretching the literature a little bit there.

And I am not saying you cant heat your whole house either with a Vernon. If the house is set up in a way for the heat to travel. Or you use the ductwork in the house to push it around like I have done for customers then sure it will work. It doesn't mean you go and rip out the oil, gas or heat pump out of the house either! Anyone that actually goes to that length is a fool.

Not to mention if people actually do the math on a ton of pellets it doesn't pay for itself after about 250 a ton. And you cant ever get pellets around here during the winter for under 250-300. The place I installed for is up to 339 right now and only for new stove purchases! Pellet stoves are nice and all but not a money saver by far. Especially considering its scrap sawdust that we are paying for.
    I will believe that the government is broke when the welfare checks start bouncing!!

Listen Jeremy, you have a hard time recognizing 2,400 - 3,800 square feet.
    This is no "stretch" of the literature, it is a direct quote. It's what they advertise.

You have a problem with that take it up with them. You would have to be a fool not to recognize what they are trying to say with their literature to get sales.... and you wonder why the average home owner comes out with the idea he heats his whole home.... NEWSFLASH Jeremy, the literature they read tells them that.

This industry has ZERO accountability. The manufacturers are garbage with all facts and figures and their installers are mostly low-wattage dim bulbs.

Lol. I love it

It says will heat square footage. NOT that it will heat an entire home. That means an open area. Plain and simple.
    Plenty of customers of mine at the time where smart enough to realize its space heating only and supplemental. I can't help some people are dumb enough or stubborn enough to try and beat the system.

Don't blame an industry for the downfalls of the retailers that sell them.

Cool professionalism where?

Unfortunately, I agree with 95% of what sysint is saying. I disagree with my 'fear mongering' label !

This industry still has no clue how easy they have it. They are about to find out due to two forces:
    1) Litigation
    2) licensure

As homeowners get fed up with unresolved problems, they courts and arbitrators will do a booming business. Myself and a few others make a good living off of cleaning up the messes retailers and installers leave.

We are seeing a strong trend towards licensure and registration at the State level. Registration of contractors simply involves who you are, where you are, what you are, which is good for everyone. Licensure gets into professional qualifications, which is where the rub is. This industry is in its infancy in training and education. Right now 99% of all companies think allocating one day per year is adequate. A few companies, such as JTPs have biweekly mandatory training that gets preapproved for CEUs from the NFI. It includes some safety as well as product/ installation training and reviews of installations, both good and bad. They post pics on the wall of these installs for all their crews to see, which pressures them to keep pics of their jobs on the Wall of Fame rather than the Wall of Shame.

I know of one company in De. that sells franchises for hearth service and installation. They attend all the mfrs. training, are Master Hearth Professionals and toe the line. They are, like me, janitors cleaning up behind everyone else but getting well paid to do it. They have tried selling franchises but so far only one person has seen the value. I just had breakfast with them this morning. He is doing quite well even in this economy. Most retailers still see service as a drain or negative instead of a profit center that is the lifeblood of your company.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy-lvhm View Post
    Lol. I love it

It says will heat square footage. NOT that it will heat an entire home. That means an open area. Plain and simple.
    Plenty of customers of mine at the time where smart enough to realize its space heating only and supplemental. I can't help some people are dumb enough or stubborn enough to try and beat the system.

Don't blame an industry for the downfalls of the retailers that sell them.
    Ummm Jeremy, you are making an assumption. Plain and simple. Otherwise they would be more honest and state what you are trying to inference. Anyway, do you want to start talking about the laws of thermodynamics and heat loss to decide just how good that heat generating piece of equipment can work without duct work? ....something tells me that you don't and can't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast