Burnham V-7 boiler leaking water

I have 1997 Burnham boiler model number PV73WBT that is leaking water from a crack in the first cast iron plate. I believe this is called a triple pass unit.

Can just the 1 plate be replaced or does the whole unit need to be changed out?

the leaking is a problem with Burnham boilers during that year of manufacturing. You may want to contact them because it could have been part of a recall. I had one replaced in my house shortly before I moved in...right around that time due to the same leaking problem you described. They replaced the whole unit. anyway, G/L

Warranty is 10 years on steam and 20 on hot water to the original owner, 10 years full and 10 years pro rated. If not the original owner, then 10 straight across. My wholesaler invoices the boiler sections when they arrive (all sections come pre-assembled) and then credits back after the factory has inspected the suspect defective section. 8 out of 10 times the crack is caused by sediment accumulating in the section. The reason for this being that if the boiler system was improperly operated or maintained, warranty is void and you pay for the part. My attitude toward this type of problem has always been that it is more of a pain in the rear to totally disassemble a boiler, replace the main boiler sections and then reassemble that it is to just change out the whole boiler. There is less cost to the customer for the labor because even if the boiler sections end up being covered, labor is not covered nor is shipping normally. The customer ends up putting alot of money into a boiler that still has all of the remaining old components that are not warrantied. Might as well go with all new. To answer the question as to whether you can purchase just the damaged section, I don't believe so. The sections are assembled as a unit using friction fit section connectors and getting everthing to pull back together and seal is darn near impossible. On top of this , a licensed hydronics contractor needs to be doing all of the work, boilers are even more dangerous than forced air furnaces and certainly not DIY. Best bet is to contact a local contractor and have him price out the options.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Heaterman nailed it. Getting the boiler to seal after replacing a section is more luck than science.