Condensate pump Question

Condensate pump Question

I had a water leak in the furnace room (Didn't actually witness the leak, only found the puddle that was partly dried up) and suspected the condensate pump, a Little Giant Pump Company VCM-15UL approx 15 yrs. old.

Hoping for an easy repair, I replaced the line from the condensate pump to the sewer drain, the line looked partially blocked. That seems to have fixed the leak, no leaks after two weeks, but I think it was also shown me what the actual cause of the problem is.

When the pump runs now, (and it does run more frequently) I can see the water being pumped out through the clear line. The water that makes it over the rise runs to the drain but the water that is still in the vertical rise portion of the line (approx 6') drains back into the pump once the pump stops.

Should there not be a check valve that prevents water from flowing back into the pump once the water has been pumped into the drainage line? If that's the case, does it usually warrant a pump cleaning, check valve replacement, pump replacement or burn down the house and hope to collect insurance money?

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Mike

Yeah, that's normal...

A litle in-line check might be nice, but it's another thing to get clogged. How is this drain back causing the leak? It shouldn't...

The leak stopped once the new drain line was installed.

I was more concerned about the health of the pump now that I see water that had been pumped out draining back into the pump, I would have thought a check valve would be there to prevent that from happening... guess not.

Perhaps you did not have a leak at all if you did not see it actually leaking, Condensate pump could have had moisture in the air condensing on the outside of it in high humid situations causing the water staining on the floor. Just like you would see condensation on a glass of cold water.

And yes you should have a check valve in line, and anything can clog without proper maintenance.

Congratulations on owning a 15 year old condensate pump. I recommend pouring a cup of bleach in the pump once a year to prevent biological buildup. Loop the tubing at the top of the vertical rise. this will act like a trap and prevent back siphioning.

Quote Originally Posted by mike78 View Post
    The leak stopped once the new drain line was installed.

I was more concerned about the health of the pump now that I see water that had been pumped out draining back into the pump, I would have thought a check valve would be there to prevent that from happening... guess not.
    15 Years and running, right?

Put one in if you like - I'm just saying most don't, I don't think...