Thread: heat pump confusion

Post Likes

Confused heat pump confusion

I just got my new heat pump installed. The install looks pretty good. However, I asked the installer a few questions, and he gave me a different answer than the sales guy.

Maybe you guys can help me. The sales guy told me that there is an external sensor on the heat pump, and I can set a level in the thermostat to tell it when to use the heat pump and when to use back up heat, based on outside temps. The installer told me the thermostat only sees that it is running the heat pump and the house isn’t heating fast enough so it will turn on the back up heat. It always tries the heat pump first. Also the thermostat was supposed to display outside temp…and the way he left it doesn’t.

Also the sales guy said my thermostat would run the new humidifier and automatically adjust the humidity level in the home based on outside temps. It does display humidity levels, but I assume it doesn’t do anything with it, since they installed a separate humidistat.

I know these are minor things, maybe confusion on my part. Maybe you guys can help me out and explain to me if systems like the sales guy told me about actually exist or not, and whether I should complain or not.

Also, when it was 15 degrees out this weekend the heatpump would run 55 minutes of the hour, then shut off for 5 minutes, kicking back on and going at it again. Is this normal? The house stayed at temp no problem. But how is it more efficient than resistance heater strips that would be on for 5 to 10 minutes?

I will say this, when it was 30-40 degrees out it ran for 6 minutes and was off for 30+ minutes and did very well...I can see how that can be a very efficient heat mover, but running for 55 minutes of the hour??? Please explain.

Lastly, Variable speed, this dude is supposed to have variable speed. How do I know it does? I haven't heard it run slow.. should I put it in fan on all the time. What should I be able to do with this variable speed?
    Last edited by livinglarge; 11-24-2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: variable speed

Post Likes
    my guess is that when it shut off it was defrosting itself
    Did it make some loud weird noise.... my heatpump makes some wierd noises when its defrosting itself

Post Likes
    If you post the equipment model #'s for the HP, indoor coil and thermostat you will get the information you are requesting.

Yes there are systems that can do what you were told this one would do.

Regarding the run time of the HP @15* it depends on the cop of the system you have. Again, posting the equip. info will help. It quite likely is still above a COP of 1 at this temp. but need more info from you.

Post Likes
    Sounds like the sales guy and the installer guy need an intermediate communticator guy to make sure that what got sold also got installed. All of those promises are in the contract, right? Has been unseasonably cold in Delaware, OH! We set the drop out / tip temp alittle higher but it depends on the aux. / backup source and the power rate (we have several co-ops with super low bulk rates). Or if the customer is complaining about the discharge temp at the registers and the constant (however low) noise of the equipment running continuously.
    Last edited by heaterman; 11-24-2008 at 04:20 PM. Reason: cause I could and added something
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    Sounds like the sales guy and the installer guy need an intermediate communticator guy to make sure that what got sold also got installed. All of those promises are in the contract, right?
    what he said!

Post Likes
    Your system could be capable of operating both ways but we can't really tell you what's up without equipment specifics. We would also need to know what the thermostat is that's being used. Is it from the OEM product line or is it an after market like a Honeywell?
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    Yea.
    Need mod numbers of the equipment.
    Outdoor unit.
    Indoor unit.
    Thermostat.

And as others.
    The salesman, and installer weren't on the same page as far as what was to be done.

Post Likes
    Sounds like your installer needs to read the IAQ instruction booklet

Post Likes
    outdoor - SSZ140241AE
    indoor - CAPF3636B6BA
    thermostat - TH832161006

are the model numbers. Also per the AHRI website (and the sales guy) there is supposed to be a specific valve in the coil to get teh AHRI ratings...how can the homeowner tell if this valve is installed?... along with the other questions.
    Last edited by livinglarge; 11-25-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: correct the part #

Post Likes
    TXV? Funny thing with a flat round do hicky, a copper wire (cap tube) and a brass colored bulb whatsit. Most likely wrapped up in black foam stuff and attached to the refrigeration lines coming from the coil.

DEM

Post Likes
    Yeah, the mini distiller with the can cooler on it is there... Any advice on the questions from my first post?

Post Likes
    In order for the stat to control the tip point (hp off, aux furnace on at a given temp) the out door sensor must be installed and connected to the thermostat. Since you can not see the outside temp on your stat either #1 no outside sensor is wired in or #2 the installer did not set up the installer's stat program properly. Call the company and have them finish the job properly.

DEM

Post Likes
    And I just realized they installed a MBR0800 instead of the MBE1200 ? Sounds like I'll be making a phone call.

Post Likes
    that's the auto defrost kicking in to defrost the outdoor unit

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in