What Is an acceptable outpu from a HP.

Case in point: Outside temp = 30 deg.
    Inside temp= 73 deg.
    output from vent on ceiling 85.5 deg.

Unit is a Lennox XP16 4 ton

Is this an acceptable amount of heat?

Please respond with your thoughts.

That is a 2 stage System. At 30 degrees outside, the defrost board should have it in high stage, as it has a sensor that puts it in high stage below 40 degrees outdoor temperature. Normally about 20 degrees temperature rise at the indoor unit with 1600 CFM air flow (73 degree return, 93 degree supply). Depending on duct insulation R-factor and attic air temperature, the supply air temperature at the register will be somewhat cooler.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Thanks for the reply, Kevin

I'm aware of the sensor that should kick it up to 2nd stage below 40 deg. Currently, that ambient sensor is not working. I'm getting the double error flash on the board. It has been reported to you know who. However, after ten minutes of operation, the zoning board will kick it to 2nd. Which it does. When I took the reading, it was in second stage for many hours. Assuming that my attic temp. is somewhat close to the 30 deg. outside temp, in your opinion, is 85.5 acceptable?

Borderline low at the register. I would think no more than 5 degrees different from the outlet of the indoor unit to the farthest register for a heat pump. But to be sure I would want to have the supply air measured at the indoor unit. What happens when the strip heat kicks on. The supply air temperature should go up quite a bit, depending on the size of the strip heater.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

There is a noticeable difference when the strips kick on. I have 10kw which I believe comes on in two stages, 5+5 depending on how many zones require it.

reg. outlet temp falls as outside air temp falls. electric back up will not come on depending on where your aux. lockout is set. charge chart and pressures + ambient temps and sub cooling will tell you if the unit is preforming correctly. call a pro and have the unit serviced yearly so you dont have to guess if it is running properly or not.