Thermostat problem

Having trouble the heat in one zone of the house.

Have a direct vent setup (purefire - gas - radiators ) . 3 story twin, house is one zone, back family room on another ( addition )

Using two honeywell programmable therms. One on the house is working fine.
    Problem is the one in the addition is being odd.

Past few nights it has been cold. Rads are getting warm but the therm is reading 68 degrees ( inside temp ). Problem is I have it set at 70 ( on hold there ) . It wouldnt go past 68 until today I had to push the therm to 75 then then the inside temp hit 70. So i dropped the temp to 70. ( also scheduled to hold on 70 )

Went to check it again....dropped back down to 68 on the inside temp. I have no idea what is going on with this thing. The other therm is working fine.

Suggestions? Is it the system itself? Therm bad ( it is brand new )? Should I just unhook it and rehook it back up?

I assume this is a hot water system with zone valves. It could be undersizrd pipes, radiators too small, poor insulation.

When was the addition installed?

Who did the load calculation for the addition?

Who decided what size radiators to install and what method was used?

Same question for the pipes.

What kind of and how much insulation?

Was the existing bouler used over?

Was the circulator used over?

Where were the pipes for the addition tied in?

These are questions that a service tech should ask. Assuming that it is the thermostat is probably misguided.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Addition been on the house since the house was bought some 35yrs ago. Its always been slighter colder then the rest of the house.

Radiators been there since the addition was put on. No idea on the insulation, i havent crawled under there in some 15yrs

Used over? Everything is new on the system ( values circs etc )

Before we had a normal gas boiler ( 85 efficent ). Non digital therm so hard to get an exact on how hot the room was set at. Always heated up fast and HOT though.

Since this system though the rads get hot ( one gets hotter then the other though ) but nothing like before.

Im am just trying to see if it is something I can do without getting the person who installed it back out here

Get the installer back out. Might be an undersized pump or a valve partly closed. You have no way to test that, your contractor does (OR should).

value is opening up on the system itself downstairs.
    the one radiator valve though i think needs to be replaced, the rad gets hot but not as hot as the other one. ( didnt have this problem before )

i know both rads are on one line too

i was looking at the system downstairs and if i am right ( or looking at the right thing ) the circ does have settings on it for like med low high. like a switch to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by easedel View Post
    value is opening up on the system itself downstairs.
    the one radiator valve though i think needs to be replaced, the rad gets hot but not as hot as the other one. ( didnt have this problem before )

i know both rads are on one line too

i was looking at the system downstairs and if i am right ( or looking at the right thing ) the circ does have settings on it for like med low high. like a switch to hit.
    Try setting the circulator to a higher setting if possible. Sounds like low water flowin that zone to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    Try setting the circulator to a higher setting if possible. Sounds like low water flowin that zone to me.
    I think you may be right about the setting on the circ. I noticed it is set to low. The pipes leading to that addition do under through the original basement wall but under the addition in the crawl space area so they are hitting the basic outside cold air.