Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by neophytes serendipity View Post
    Maybe not

I guess next time I should let the individual continue to screw off instead of working. My bad.

There are tactful ways to go about things rather than get pissed of at them right away. Sometimes it's best to have a 1 on 1 with them to see whats really going on. When guys make a connection with you....they WANT to do good work for you. But if a guy refuses to work....then that's pretty much all you can do. He has to go and be on his way to the next company. But if that guy is that bad of a worker (or doesn't work for you all together).....I don't see him going to another company to be a foremen.

All too often guys get comfortable on bigger jobs. They see how far they can push things because the more guys you have out on a job....the harder it is to track each individual worker. A lot of times all it takes is to pull them aside and have a respectful little chat. You FIRST have to respect them....then they will respect you. All too often foremen come out and act as if they have to crack a strong whip and be a hard ***. But that simply isn't the case. More often than not....that leads to BIG problems.

In reality....If you have the right credentials and experience, I don't see one or two guys with bad attitudes towards you ending your ability to be hired by other contractors.

Chicago is an indian word for stinky!!!!!!
    -supertek65

I guess next time I should let the individual continue to screw off instead of working. My bad.

What was the individuals age and experience? What kind of work were they supposed to be doing on the job? Did you have any conflicts with the employee before?

And the most important question..

When you first found out he was "screwing off", how did you handle the situation?

Just wondering.....trying to help you out. I've work with some of the smartest formen out there....but had ZERO personality interest with the employees on the job. Because of that I believe the final numbers on the job suffered greatly.

-supertek65

Gone over thanksgiving

Hey guys thanks for some of the responses that stuck to the original question.

I am going in on Wednesday to Local 597 to submit my application. The HVAC program is what I am shooting for. I had 2 guys that are head over the training recruit me from my job and I am looking forward to passing the test in January and getting in. I just had those few questions

Lash-

The reality is one person can keep you out if that person is a "go to" guy for potential hire "interviews". All the credentials in the world do not overcome the buddy system.

The person causing me grief was (is) buddies with the former sheetmetal super at the outfit that laid me off, therefore almost untouchable on that job.

I never expect anything from someone that I am unwilling to do myself.

I never expect or ask anyone to do anything outside of contract rules like working for free or providing any tools.

I do not crack whips- I know that backfires.

I am also familiar with "praise in public / punish in private" and I practice that.

I know I am not perfect.

If I push the matter through proper channels, the collateral damage could be high and impact people that I do not want to harm in these economic times.

For now, I hope Karma does the trick. Heaven help that person if I am in a position enabling payback.

For now, I hope Karma does the trick. Heaven help that person if I am in a position enabling payback.

It's always does in this trade!

-supertek65

Too late now but a little "donation" to Blago and you`d have a sweet job with in any union
    Sorry - yesterday was the deadline for all complaints.

cjr7806 stick to the HVAC-R trade. When you get in ask as many questions as the techs will tolerate. I spent 22 years in sheet metal union doing everything from shop, to air balance and finally organized into Mechanical Equipment SERVICE. LEARN ALL YOU CAN. It always helps when times get tough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12