+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flat screen tv's

Post Likes

Red face My Sammy's

There are some DLP models mad by Samsung, that use an LED Light Engine, there is no projector bulb to replace. They use the "Phlatlight Led" as posted here:
    http://www.luminus.com/content1034

The HL61a750 is one thats available. I own one Sammy DLP with projection bulb, one with the LED engine, and a Sammy LCD. All of them have beautiful color reproduction.
    What I like about the DLP's is the dollars per inch of display. The LCD is used in my office. All of them have a good range of controls to adjust their picture to your liking.
    One factor in shopping I used was watts used by the tv. That translates into heat, an enemy of most electronic parts.

You can research "Flat panel displays", "Rear Projection", and find more opinions, stories, tales of joy & woe here:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9/

Happy researching !

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cyro View Post
    Hey Mayguy did direct give you free equipment for that t.v. upgrade and dvr?

I am ready to upgrade to HD, I ran my wires under ground last year in PVC
    Yes, we did get it for free. At first we didn't, then we told her that we been DirecTV customer for 3 years, and and good standing with our account, and felt we could do it for free, and we have HD DVR on our main TV, and then just the HD receiver in the bedroom.

Post Likes
    Plasmas have the best picture hands down. But they struggle in bright rooms, use lots of power, produce lots of heat, and they are less reliable than other types.

LCD has almost equaled plasma in picture quality and can actually look better in bright light conditions.

Rear projection is still a viable type and can be had for a much better price when getting into the larger screen size. The DLP's are pretty dang sharp.

The LCD's some in two basic ratings, 720 and 1080. 1080 is best, but until you get to the larger screen sizes it's tough to see the difference.

I'd stay away from the low end models of any brand. Buy a medium to high end model depending on what your application is. If this is your main TV or a home theater unit, I'd spend the extra $$ and get a high end one. If for a bedroom or secondary space, a mid-grade model should do fine. I just bought a 32" LCD for my bedroom, I got the Insignia (Best Buy's store brand made by LG) and I'm quite pleased with it.

The next TV type to come out will be called OLED, organic light emitting diode. The technology is similar to what is used on many cell phone displays. There is already a model or two out, but they are expensive. When the price falls and they work the kinks out of making this type in the larger screen sizes, OLED may could be the best choice. Probably looking at a couple more years though.

Post Likes
    Okay, so we went shopping today. Holy crap! What a bunch of stuff to figure out. Of all the places we went, the most knowledgeable guy was at Costco. He was the only one that knew about the refresh rate. The higher the better. There are same manufacturors, same size, same apperance but different models with vastly different quality and price. He also reccommended the Vizio brand. Best warranty, they evidentally come to your home and do the repair, and if it isn't fixed you get a new one. Sounds pretty good to me, but I'm still gonna research more. Thanks for all the input guys!
    "The trouble with the world is the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt" -Bertrand Russell

Post Likes
    We have the 40" Sony Bravia and very pleased with it. Just get the 1080p and the proper cables to hook it to. Different cables, different picture quality.
    Jim

Post Likes
    Ahhh, for the good old days...

When the TVs were round and the women were flat...

Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2¢.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rango View Post
    Plasmas can get burn-in (not repairable), LCD's can lose pixels and are not repairable, DLP's get dimmer and all you have to do is change light source.
    lol, yea, i would know this if i owned a TV
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gruntly View Post
    Ahhh, for the good old days...

When the TVs were round and the women were flat...

What you trying to get at there gruntly?
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    What you trying to get at there gruntly?
    Ohh, hey! Did I say Women?! I meant..er..uh.. BEER.. yeah that's it flat beer..

Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2¢.

Post Likes
    lol
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    Here is Consumer Reports 2009 Buying Guide best picks. These are in the order that they appear in the publication. Some 720's performed better than some 1080's, and some "lesser" brands performed better than "name" brands. The sets were rated on High-Def picture quality, Standard-Def picture quality, DVD picture quality, sound quality, viewing angle (LCD's only), and ease-of-use of the remote control.

I haven't bought one yet. I'm still on the fence.

LCD TVs

52 inches
    Samsung LN52A650
    LG 52LG50
    Toshiba Regza 52XF55OU
    NuVision NVU52DCM
    Sharp Aquous LC-52SE94U

46 and 47 inches
    Samsung LN46A550
    Vizio VO47LF
    Sony Bravia KDL-46S4100
    Toshiba Regza 46RV53OU
    JVC LT-47P789

40 and 42 inches
    Samsung LN40A550
    Toshiba Regza 42XV54OU
    LG 42LG70
    Olevia 242TFHD
    LG 42LG50
    Sony Bravia KDL-40V4100
    Vizio VO42L FHDTV10A
    Sharp Aquos LC-C4254U
    Sylvania LC420SS8
    Vizio VX42L
    Sanyo DP42848

Plasma TV's

58 inches and larger
    Samsung PN58A550
    LG 60PG60

50 inches
    Samsung PN50A550
    Panasonic TH-50PZ800U
    Samsung PN50A450
    Panasonic TH-50PZ85U
    Insignia NS-PDP50
    Vizio JV50P
    Panasonic TH-50PZ85OU
    LG 50PG20
    Insignia NS-PDP50HD-09
    Sanyo DP50747

46 inches
    Panasonic TH-46PZ80U

42 inches
    Panasonic TH-42PZ800U
    Panasonic TH-42PX80U
    LG 42PG20
    Samsung PN42A450
    Vizio VP422HDTV10A

Post Likes
    From the above Post:

42 inches
    Panasonic TH-42PZ800U
    Panasonic TH-42PX80U
    LG 42PG20
    Samsung PN42A450
    Vizio VP422HDTV10A
    (end)

My Plasma is the TH-42PZ700U, and at the time it was rated one of the best Plasma sets on the market. The picture is great, and the sound is the simulated (phase shift) surround, all from inside the box. It also has a subwoofer built in, the sound is amazing.

I am surprised to see the SamSung's rated over the Sony Bravia's... but things change.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I bought a 42" Vizio 2 months ago, Plasma. It broke last week, returned it and got an lcd because the didnt have any more plasmas.

The Plasma did have a better picture, but it also put out alot of heat, was heavy, and well it broke?
    You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

http://rapalaguy.spaces.live.com/

Post Likes
    I read somewhere that a 42" plasma tv will consume about the same amount of power as a 1970's refrigerator/freezer.
    Wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.

In your darkest hour, when the demons come, call on me brother and we shall fight them together.

A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by doc havoc View Post
    I read somewhere that a 42" plasma tv will consume about the same amount of power as a 1970's refrigerator/freezer.
    If I remember, my Panasonic is rated at 480 Watts (it is not printed on the back). I have a lot of electronic stuff in my office; I literally had to add a 5" vent to the corner of the office to keep it all cooled.

As I remember, I did start noticing the office was a little warm the summer after the Plasma was added to the area.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)

Post Likes
    I am still holding out on the purchase but I am considering a 42 inch Panasonic Viera, 720P. It was rated #2 by Consumer Reports.

Best price as of 1/3/09 is $689 delivered and installed by Amazon.com (comes with "white glove" delivery service).

Price of the 1080P Viera is currently $900 w/free shipping.

How low can they go?

Post Likes
    I would get the 1080P. You will be glad you did. Think of it as an investment in 'fun'. Both satellite TV co's have receivers that upgrade to 1080i (all satellite signals are 720P). And DVD players that 'upconvert' a 480p DVD to 1080i are common and cheap. IMO BluRay is not really ready for primetime yet...costs too much. It does not take long to get spoiled with HD, and it is well worth it IMO.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    my 42 inch panasonic plasma lasted 3 years, just like my 48 inch rear projection Phillips. now I have a 32 inch sony LCD. they are making crap now days. buy what costs the least , so youll have money for a new one in 3 years.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Here is Consumer Reports 2009 Buying Guide best picks. These are in the order that they appear in the publication. Some 720's performed better than some 1080's, and some "lesser" brands performed better than "name" brands. The sets were rated on High-Def picture quality, Standard-Def picture quality, DVD picture quality, sound quality, viewing angle (LCD's only), and ease-of-use of the remote control.

I haven't bought one yet. I'm still on the fence.

LCD TVs

52 inches
    Samsung LN52A650
    LG 52LG50
    Toshiba Regza 52XF55OU
    NuVision NVU52DCM
    Sharp Aquous LC-52SE94U

46 and 47 inches
    Samsung LN46A550
    Vizio VO47LF
    Sony Bravia KDL-46S4100
    Toshiba Regza 46RV53OU
    JVC LT-47P789

40 and 42 inches
    Samsung LN40A550
    Toshiba Regza 42XV54OU
    LG 42LG70
    Olevia 242TFHD
    LG 42LG50
    Sony Bravia KDL-40V4100
    Vizio VO42L FHDTV10A
    Sharp Aquos LC-C4254U
    Sylvania LC420SS8
    Vizio VX42L
    Sanyo DP42848

Plasma TV's

58 inches and larger
    Samsung PN58A550
    LG 60PG60

50 inches
    Samsung PN50A550
    Panasonic TH-50PZ800U
    Samsung PN50A450
    Panasonic TH-50PZ85U
    Insignia NS-PDP50
    Vizio JV50P
    Panasonic TH-50PZ85OU
    LG 50PG20
    Insignia NS-PDP50HD-09
    Sanyo DP50747

46 inches
    Panasonic TH-46PZ80U

42 inches
    Panasonic TH-42PZ800U
    Panasonic TH-42PX80U
    LG 42PG20
    Samsung PN42A450
    Vizio VP422HDTV10A
    Looks like Consumer Reports still likes Samsung. I bought a Samsung 50" DLP about 3 years ago based on recommendations from Consumer Reports and I have been very pleased with the purchase.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    my 42 inch panasonic plasma lasted 3 years, just like my 48 inch rear projection Phillips. now I have a 32 inch sony LCD. they are making crap now days. buy what costs the least , so youll have money for a new one in 3 years.
    This is exactly what bothers me about this purchase. I have several tube TV's that are over 15 years old and never had a single problem. Now I'm going to fork over $700 to $1000 for something that may last a few years? Makes me think about either buying the extended warranty (usually a waste of money) or sticking with the 27-inch tube until flat screen TV prices hit rock bottom.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in