Serial: 0390E16813
    Piston ID: 93
    R-22
    Compressor
    RLA 30.8
    LRA 142
    Fan Motor
    FLA 1.4

Could any one please decifier the model number, 38THO60300 and let me know what size/tons the unit is?

Also, what is your best guess as to it's age, I'm guessing it is the original builders 1990 install, but cannot be sure?

Thank you so much for your help, SoCal

SoCal carrier model numbers include the tonage 38th060 the 060 means 5 ton and the first four of the serial # will tell you the mfg date first two is week the 3rd and 4th are the last to of the year.

Hope this helps
    screws

it's a 1990, & it's 5 tons

Great, thanks for the fast response. So then I see the age is a 1990 model. Anyone have any experience with these models, am I on the last leg, or will I get a few more years out of it?
    Thanks, SoCal

You could get many opinions to this question, with many different valid reasons. At 18 years the unit surely had seen better days. I’ve never been good at selling efficiency, but reliability is definitely challenged. Questions to you, are you a Proactive or reactive person? How does your personal comfort affect this decision? Do you think you will live there long enough to benefit from the investment?

Good questions:

Answers:
    are you a Proactive or reactive person?
    Proactive

How does your personal comfort affect this decision?
    Yes

Do you think you will live there long enough to benefit from the investment?
    Yes

Now the but, I'm getting great deal on a foreclosed home, but, there is much rehab to be done, so the AC may have to be defered for a year or two to fit the budger, tough call.

I personally hate to see construction damage on new equipment. But I would consider phase-in of the install.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Residence View Post
    Good questions:

Answers:
    are you a Proactive or reactive person?
    Proactive

How does your personal comfort affect this decision?
    Yes

Do you think you will live there long enough to benefit from the investment?
    Yes

Now the but, I'm getting great deal on a foreclosed home, but, there is much rehab to be done, so the AC may have to be defered for a year or two to fit the budger, tough call.
    Rehab~ means changing the footprint of home and design. So, why not invest in new HVAC now and not have the headaches with wondering why you did not do it in rehab.

Carrier makes a nice line of equipment , and I'm sure there are Carrier dealers in your area that could assist you in making some design and upgrades that you could work into your budget.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

In the process of buying implies not your property yet. Most agressive buyers use older equipment as a bargaining chip. A piece of 18 year old HVAC equipment would fall in that catagory and depending on how motivated the seller is and the general condition of the local market, use it. We just completed an install on a house that was purchased using that method of negotiation and they ended up with enough funds placed in escrow to pay for most of an upgrade to a dual fuel system.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Great points and ideas, regarding, "Most agressive buyers use older equipment as a bargaining chip", I'm very aggressive, the home was not even listed in the MLS so I had to find the bank and their agent directly. Even though this is bank owned, it's in a very good area and priced right. The banks sell as is, and if you offer to low, to cover rehab costs, you could loose out to another buyer, so you loose the house. So, I just have to figure it into my rehab budget.