Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thermostat Troubles?

My wife and I had a system installed by a licensed, reputable installer who has installed several systems for my family over the years. Not our only interview and not the cheapest, but seemed at the time to be the best qualified. Four months later and the system is just not running properly and sometimes not at all.

HP on first floor with LP gas as secondary and straight HP on second. Outdoor sensors on both. Second floor runs well with the exception of a few extremly noisy vents and returns, but that's a whole story in itself.

First floor runs intermittently, but many mornings it's just off. Thermostat says heating but no air flow. Contractor has replaced the outdoor sensor twice and it's still way off. We are in northern MD and it read 16F this morining. We are on the third thermostat with the latest installed today and it still doesn't run. We are not sure what to do and I think the technology is just too new for the installer. I can turn the system off and back on again and it will run, but never satisfys the thermostat and cuts off within a few degrees.

Not the thermostat or the outdoor sensor. Possibly incorrectly wired? Since the sensor temp is always way off I wonder if it's even worth it?

What is the brand of thermostat?
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

If they used a power stealing thermostat this could be your problem. Make sure the power to the thermostat is taken from the control system inside the furnace/air handler.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

thermostat troubles

The thermostat is a lennox.

You should call him back

Why wouldn't you phone him back to fix it or phone someone who can. This is not something you should be doing. You need a professional. Good Luck
    Do it right the first time.

if it is a lennox system and the installer is stumped you should insist they get a factory rep out there. area office is in Baltimore so they should have a rep in your area.

Is it a signature stat, elite stat, or the 7000 ?

ComfortSense 7000

The thermostat is a ComfortSense 7000. It has to be something with the configuration because the system seems to work as long as I keep turning it off and then on again. Unfortunately, I can't stay up all night so the house is 50F in the morning.

I have called and he has been out several times. Yesterday we did recommend that he get a tech out here, but still doesn't help the chill.

Can a Lennox expert comment on the wiring of the remote sensor? Should it be in its own bundle? Does it need to be shielded cable?
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

When you turn the t-stat off & back on does run as a heatpump, or a furnace? Is the heatpump 2 stage (16 SEER or higher) XP16, XP19, HPXA ?

Quote Originally Posted by 2nu2no View Post
    When you turn the t-stat off & back on does run as a heatpump, or a furnace? Is the heatpump 2 stage (16 SEER or higher) XP16, XP19, HPXA ?
    This is probably the key to the problem. It very likely has something to do with an error on the gas side of the heating. By powering down and back up, it is reseting the error. When it quits working, rather than power it down then back up, somebody needs to check the flashing lights through the peephole on the blower compartment and record what it says. This could be the key to your problem and not a thermostat error. I doubt you would have 3 bad tstats and the temperature it reads depends entirely on where the placement of the sensor is.

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    if it is a lennox system and the installer is stumped you should insist they get a factory rep out there. area office is in Baltimore so they should have a rep in your area.

that's a good sugestion

no reason for you to suffer over the technicians lack of knowledge

sounds like it's wired wrong, or going out on a fault, as already stated!

When the system starts back up (if it starts back up), it's the furnace not the heatpump (single stage XP13). I assume this is because there is such a large temp difference between the actual and the set temp...too much for the HP to catch up.

I'm really hoping that we can get a tech out here this week...the thought of spending Thanksgiving without heat isn't very much fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast