Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Time question

This is my first smoked turkey and was wondering on how long to smoke it? Time per pound and such.

I am using applewood chips with some apple juice...anyother suggestions?

I am also throwing in a couple precooked hams just to warm them up but should be good I'd think.

Someone told me to let the ham drip onto the turkey but not sure on that, whats the concensus?

Thanks for all your help on a hopefully otherwise great turkey day and I hope you all have a great day yourselves!

CW.
    "I don't care what you could get it off the net for, they wont warranty it and neither will I"!

And if you don't like my "flat rate up front pricing" try and negotiate the price on that big mac you just bought pricing is exactly the same method!

It takes about 45 min./lb. - until an internal temp of 165 degreesF at the innermost part of the thigh & wing, as well as in the thickest part of the breast.
    Give yourself 8-9 hrs. I wanted to sleep in tomorrow, but I will be up early to start the fire.

Thanks so much! hope I get it right...

everyone have a great turkeyday and if you drink just drive the couch for the day and watch feetball!

Gobble Gobble!

CW.
    "I don't care what you could get it off the net for, they wont warranty it and neither will I"!

And if you don't like my "flat rate up front pricing" try and negotiate the price on that big mac you just bought pricing is exactly the same method!

I use my Fluke temperature meter to monitor the grill, put the charcoal rails up with coals on either side, put a throw away pan with 1 inch of water in it in the center with the turkey in the pan. Rub the turkey with bacon grease and tent it with foil, this keeps the foil from sticking better than Crisco. Start off with 425 to 450 F, to sear and seal the Turkey. Reduce the heat after 40 to 45 minutes, and try and maintain 300 to 350 F by adjusting the dampers. I add wood chunks that have been soaking for a week, and four to five brickets through-out the proccess. This year made my own stuffing with sausage stuffing in one end and apple bread stuffing in the other end, with chunks of apples and raisins. For the stuffing I toast the bread over and over again in the toaster at low settings till I get it dried out just right. I did a 12+ pounder this year, figured the max I could do would be a 14 to 15 pounder.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC2B View Post
    I may be in Lafeyette this weekend which is not that far,I dunno

back to the thread,that is cajun country,and you should find a delicious turkey
    with all the other good stuff
    Thursday - smoked duck, chicken, and cornish hen with the usual thanksgiving sides

Friday - pit roasted pig and etouffee with slaw and beans

I felt like I gained 10 pounds in those two days. Damn good eatin in Cajun country.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    Thursday - smoked duck, chicken, and cornish hen with the usual thanksgiving sides

Friday - pit roasted pig and etouffee with slaw and beans

I felt like I gained 10 pounds in those two days. Damn good eatin in Cajun country.
    did you get to drink Community coffee?
    ahh.......... "couchon de lait" and etouffee
    maybe next time some frog legs,sided with gator sauce piquant
    .....or rabbit and andouille gumbo

glad you had a good time,it was warm,huh?
    The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

we need a few more sheep dogs to keep barking at the wolves,and the stupid sheep

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

82 and sunny while we were roasting the pig. I wore shorts and tshirt the entire trip.

No community coffee. Just Folgers.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123