Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Circon

Circon

I got a call today telling me that Circon locked their doors for good yesterday. Does anyone know if this is true?

Circon

Is it true?

Give it a few more days...

Circon's the tiny Superball of comapny's - it gets tossed, bounces around for a while and eventually settles down again. Who knows what kind of ride it's on this time. Sure hope someone with some foresight and ability takes the reigns. That company still has controls technology/ability/tools that leaves the others in the dust.

...but lousy management. Another Canadian company should buy up their tech...

Crap

Ahhhhhhhhhh.....now I'm screwed!

What do I do now?

It's a LON based company. You can find replacements for everything elsewhere. You have software like NL220 and LM, servers and touchscreens from Loytec, and controllers from many companies that will still let you access your existing equipment and add to those sites.

Hardly an insurmountable issue.

Besides - much of the hardware and even the software will garner interest. Someone will pick up some pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    It's a LON based company. You can find replacements for everything elsewhere. You have software like NL220 and LM, servers and touchscreens from Loytec, and controllers from many companies that will still let you access your existing equipment and add to those sites.

Besides - much of the hardware and even the software will garner interest. Someone will pick up some pieces.
    The issue is that the customers who are using the Circon product with the Circon front end will not have the same functionality due to the fact that the trend logs and scheduler functions are proprietary - Unless I'm missing something (please tell me that I am.)

Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post

My issue is with Circon's compiler for their FPC's. I have all these sites with a multitude of FPC's and just one laptop with a compiler license. What happens if said laptop crashes or is swiped. If Circon goes under and can no longer provide an activasion key to unlock their compiler program where does that leave me and my customers?
    Is there a way to find out the activasion key number for an existing working compiler?

Don't worry, it's Lon. You can use multitudes of software to configure your controllers. Not like those BACrap vendors with their proprietary software.

kontrol out
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Quote Originally Posted by limadeltadude View Post
    My issue is with Circon's compiler for their FPC's. I have all these sites with a multitude of FPC's and just one laptop with a compiler license. What happens if said laptop crashes or is swiped. If Circon goes under and can no longer provide an activasion key to unlock their compiler program where does that leave me and my customers?
    Is there a way to find out the activasion key number for an existing working compiler?
    Tell you what. Get VMWARE and make multiple virtual copies of your PC with the compiler. Otherwise if nobody buys them I'm sure there is a way to get someone to help you out in other ways.

Regardless, it's not your fault if they go under. Since this is LON, you can replace it with someone else's programmable and accomplish the same functionality. It's not like you stock 50 of them do you?

Quote Originally Posted by kontrolphreak View Post
    Don't worry, it's Lon. You can use multitudes of software to configure your controllers. Not like those BACrap vendors with their proprietary software. kontrol out
    ...what you don't know... Loytec has some application notes on their site you should read. Nice try though...

Frown

The real problems are the VI3 and NI software registration in case a customers computer needs repair or replacement or even to add a workstation.
    The cost of replacing the software and the labor to recreate the graphics and links on another HMI is going to be substantial. Yes it is not our fault but it does open the door to a competitor( even a Bacnet competitor) to grab the account and to leave us with Circons black eye.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast