Johnson controls vs. union

A jci friend of mine is being told that he is now union like it or not. what is the pro and con of the union and can they force him in. Is this the wave of the future here in n.c. I though in America you had rights and freedom to choose. (Maybe not at JCI )
    If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail ("Coach Dave")
    Hello I must be going. I cannot stay, I came to say , I must be going.(Jeffery T. Spauldlng)

Its a plus for him. He can still negotiate his wage to an extent and his package may be better.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ's cool-aid View Post
    A jci friend of mine is being told that he is now union like it or not. what is the pro and con of the union and can they force him in. Is this the wave of the future here in n.c. I though in America you had rights and freedom to choose. (Maybe not at JCI )
    Two good things are you are guranteed a raise or more into a retirement fund every 3 years. The bad side is no sick days and the most vacation time from what I have been told is 2 weeks. I would think your friend would have a choice in the matter, there is good and bad on both sides of the fence.

Depends on the union. The one I'm in actually works out better to be in the union. The guys on the other side of the state are getting hosed.

We (union) get fewer holidays, but we get paid per hour for a vacation fund, which turns out to be quite a bit of vacation if you were to take it.

I don't know how it worked when they went union around here, but basically it sounds like the guys were told, you go union, you have a job, you don't, you'd better look for a job. From what JCI was years ago, it's a worse deal to be union, but what it is now, it'll probably be a wash. Keep in mind, this is a right to work state too... that probably effects it some
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Frown

the choice that we were given here in texas is either join, not join protest and loose all health benefits or lose your job. Texas is a right to work state and this does not sit well with me. I think I got hosed. In a right to work state you cannot be forced into the union. I actually got a suckier package by going union. The union before was against GPS tracking. Not anymore. They don't help us hardly at all. they vote in a raise and we don't get it because we are a little above scale. I worked my but off to earn what I get. If scale goes up I should get the raise. If they want only Jorneyman work out of me then thats what they will get!

Florida is also a right to work State. I had a Friend's Brother that went to work for a Mega Telcom and did not join their Union. He was harrassed, punched in the face by a co-worker and then his truck was dented. He caved and joined the Union or else he would have been fired. Right to work is only as good as your Employer.

Quote Originally Posted by yorktek37 View Post
    the choice that we were given here in texas is either join, not join protest and loose all health benefits or lose your job. Texas is a right to work state and this does not sit well with me. I think I got hosed. In a right to work state you cannot be forced into the union. I actually got a suckier package by going union. The union before was against GPS tracking. Not anymore. They don't help us hardly at all. they vote in a raise and we don't get it because we are a little above scale. I worked my but off to earn what I get. If scale goes up I should get the raise. If they want only Jorneyman work out of me then thats what they will get!
    You got jobbed by your employer. If you get over-scale then your raise should be in addition to that.

Quote Originally Posted by mallron View Post
    You got jobbed by your employer. If you get over-scale then your raise should be in addition to that.
    Yep
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Tell that to my boss. My senior co-worker literally had to twist his arm off. He is out of a different local and thay want him to switch. He has better benifits with his current local. The office does not like his labor burden. He is way over scale and he is worth every penney. Every time his local contract renews there is a raise. They won't give it to him and he will eventually give them the finger and leave. Then we will be really screwed. The nice part is at least they gave everyone the raise except him. He is due to get his in a few months. He brings in millions each year in L&M. Some people just don't get it. The last job our manager had was not rvrn closely related to his new job. So far unrelated it's not funny. Think Cheetos. Thats who he worked for.
    However he is steping up to the plate and doing better than the last manager. The last manager was a crooked pinhead. Hopefully they won't see this but it's the truth.
    I think this thread should have been in the general discussion. Oh well

Do as you will

Take it from a JCI employ in a right to work state they CANT fire you nor can they make you join the union. We have had a lot of our guys drop out after learning that they will (and do) still receive the same pay, benefits and retirement. JCI pays UA for this and the UA cannot deny then to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar189 View Post
    Take it from a JCI employ in a right to work state they CANT fire you nor can they make you join the union. We have had a lot of our guys drop out after learning that they will (and do) still receive the same pay, benefits and retirement. JCI pays UA for this and the UA cannot deny then to you.
    cheers1 Contact me via e-mail. It in my profile. I would like to speak with you privately on this matter. Lawsuits may ensue over what they did to me!