Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by automig View Post
    run your thermostat to the 2nd floor and partially close your 1st floor registers.
    I know of a company that does that all the time mainly on new construction though. Not sure how well it works out but they do it all the time. I myself would not do that.

You can try to regulate teh air flow by using the dampers in teh first floor registers to lower the air flow.
    But don't shut them off, its not a good thing for your unit.

You may want to try that first, before having balancing dampers installed, to get an idea if teh dampers will help enough or not.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by nic1067 View Post
    I have a two story colonial approx 2250 sq ft. The second floor is much colder than the first floor (seems to be a popular problem). Had a 180,000 BTU furnace from 1965. (Re insulated the attic last year.) All the ductwork is covered with drywall except for the main trunk. No dampers in the system.

I had four contractors out for quote. All four quoted 100,000 BTU high efficiency furnaces with variable speed blowers (each one stated the variable speed blower would help with the cooler second floor). None of them did a manual J calc. They just asked for the square footage and how many windows in the home. Being on the cautious side, I did a manual J calc and verified the need for a 100,000 BTU furnace.

I went with a two stage - 100,000 BTU furnace with a variable speed motor.

Now: The temps in the Cleveland area have fallen quickly this year.
    I have a new furnace with a cold second floor. The two stage sounded like a great money saver but isn't working out too well. When running on low fire the second floor barely gets any heat. Even when on high fire, second floor isn't getting enough heat.

What to have quoted next:
    I cant have all the duct work replaced.
    I have gotten many opinions:
    Install electric baseboard heaters in each bedroom.
    Install duct booster fans.
    Put a furnace in the attic.
    Just live with it - the original owner did.
    Any other suggestions or opinions?
    Energy management system- 2 zones with two temperature sensors.

I'm guessing that upstairs is bedrooms, so your not there much in daytime, and zones dampers could be a solution. I would ask contractor to due a layout for zones.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

this is hard to say w/out seeing layout. does the trunk upstairs just blow into the hallway or does it have runs into each room? wut size is the duct, how many rooms? need more input.

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    are you catching flies, or making me a lewd offer?

the guy's already thrown money and professionals at the problem this year, maybe a temporary fix is in order so he doesn't have to gut his house in the dead of winter. it's friggin cold.

I agree with moving the stat to the second floor. I would buy a wireless stat. That way you would be able to put it anywhere you would like. Try to balance the system by closing registers on the other floors. The best solution would be to have 2 zones.

Thanks for the input.

I have two trunk lines coming off the plenum. 8 x 21 and 9 x 16.
    There are 2 registers in each bedroom and one in each bathroom on the second floor. In addition, each bedroom has a cold air return. (10 registers and 4 cold air on the second floor)

I took down some drywall in the laundry room next to the trunk where the furnace is located. Each register has a 5" takeoff with 5" round duct then goes up into the 2x4 stud wall.

There is about a 7-8 degree temp difference between the first floor and second floor. I think if I put a stat upstairs i would be baking on the first floor.

Quote Originally Posted by nic1067 View Post
    There is about a 7-8 degree temp difference between the first floor and second floor. I think if I put a stat upstairs i would be baking on the first floor.
    Agree!

I think you already realized you have an air flow issue, you just need more air going up stairs and less going down stairs. I think the contractor was hoping the VS fan would overcome duct design issues.
    What I find odd, since heat rises and most people complain the upstairs is to warm and the down stairs is cool. I would play with the regisiters, but suspect that won't help as it did not help the P.O. You will need to install a damper in the duct system and/or run a new/bigger duct upstairs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12