question about wood stove

I am building a non combustible wall of cement board to install a wood stove. I am wondering if I can paint the board with latex paint. I am trying to avoid the extra weight of tiles or bricks.

Question

It depends upon your stated clearances. If your clearance to the stove requires noncombustible construction then you would need to find a noncombustible coating or increase the clearance.

What brand cement board are you using? Not all boards are rated noncombustible. Durock has passed ASTM E-136 so it is ok to use. Most others are not.

I am using Wonderboard, which is rated as non combustible. My clearances are good with the board, with a few inches to spare, so I am thinking that a latex paint would be ok, or a masonary paint, such as those to paint the face of fireplaces. Any thoughts?

Cool

Wonderboard CBB cannot pass the ASTM E-136 test so I would advise against it. The mfr. I used to work for used this board back in the '80s as it was the most common and routinely had to replace it because it crumbled and fell apart from the heat. Note this definition of noncombustible does deal solely with flammability but durability in the presence of heat. As the Styrofoam balls break down, the matrix fails and the board crumbles. I highly recommend you use Durock from USG, not that I have any ties to this brand but because they spent the money and passed the test.

I would expect the radiant heat from the stove to damage the paint but also drive off foul odors.

id go with durock. Durock doesnt cost to much...