Trane two-stage or variable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane two-stage or variable

Have decided to go with Trane to replace my current furnace and air conditioner. I am in a 1700 sq. ft. home in near Philadelphia, PA. Was quoted:

XV80 TUD100R9V3K 2 stage 80% variable-speed furnace and
    XL15i 4TTX5036 3 ton, 15 seer R410A air conditioner.

Was given alternate pricing for XL 80 two-stage standard fan TUD2B100A9362A 100,000 BUT input, 80% and
    XR13 TUD2B100A9362A and XR14 (don’t know model number – TUD series) air conditioners.

Any opinions on this equipment? Is the variable stage really worth the extra money over the two stage standard? The specs show the blower speed on the two-stage to be four speed. Does the variable speed make such a big difference? In addition, do I need a two stage thermostat for these furnaces?

XV80 TUD100R9V3K 2 stage 80% variable-speed furnace and
    XL15i 4TTX5036 3 ton, 15 seer R410A air conditioner

Crosstalk

a nice system.

what evap coil is being quoted? it matters.

what is electric rate? what is nat gas rate?

unless there is an installation impediment, I think an 80% furnace is a dinosaur for your area/climate.

if this will be your home for the forseeable future, then i definitely would stick with a var speed blower.

IMO

How did they determine sizing? That's a lot of equipment for 1700 sq ft. No insulation? Lots of windows?

I had an XV80 for 15 years and upgraded to a 95% with variable speed so I would say yes, VS is worth it. Definitely on the 2 stage stat.

Sure does sound like a lot of furnace for 1700 sq ft.
    A/C might be a bit large also.

VS is worth it for the comfort improvement it can give you in both heating and cooling.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Sorry, just recalculated square footage. 1700 s.f. was when house was purchased. Forgot to add conversion of garage to playroom and addition of family room. Square footage more like 2000. I have 10 single windows, 3 double windows, 1 bay window, 1 sliding glass door and one solid front door with sidelights. Is that more in line? I did a drawing of the house showing measurements, direction and windows/doors and contractor did "quick" calculation.

Thanks for your input

Confused Amana Gas Pack

Hello,

I just registered here today. Bare with me as I learn this sites functions. I couldn't see how to post a question concerning my Amana Gas Pack. The circulation fan runs but no heat is being discharged. The outside combustion fan runs constantly. Can you please tell me what may be causing this problem. I'm currently working on going for my HAVC license, currently hold a P1 Plumbing License. I've got much to learn before I apply for the state exam, please go easy on me. Thank you very much.

Richard
    Last edited by rrhooper; 11-21-2008 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Clarafication

You added your post as a reply to my previous post. I believe you will have to send this again for it to be posted properly.

I have a 2 stg 90VS with a heat pump, if you can live with cooler discharge air, the heat pump will save on utility bills esp on LP like me

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I had an XV80 for 15 years and upgraded to a 95% with variable speed so I would say yes, VS is worth it. Definitely on the 2 stage stat.
    You now got a furnace that is going to run two stage now? What did you put in?

In PECO land we get a BIG BREAK on the electric by having a heat pump.It is better for us to get a heat pump with an 80% furnace then an a/c with a 95% heater.I would recommend the IAQ thermostat. They call the rate the RH rate.I have a PECO back door phone number if you need to confirm.Shoot me an e-mail via my home page.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rrhooper View Post
    Hello,

I just registered here today. Bare with me as I learn this sites functions. The outside combustion fan runs constantly. Can you please tell me what may be causing this problem. I'm currently working on going for my HAVC license, currently hold a P1 Plumbing License. I've got much to learn before I apply for the state exam, please go easy on me. Thank you very much.

Richard
    Sorry, this isn't a DIY site.
    And as such, we can't discuss repairs problems of your type in the open resi forum.

Get your post count up to 15, and apply for pro membership.
    Then you can get the help your going to need.
    Contractor locator map

In response to tigerdunes, I was not told what evaporator coil was quoted. I don't have the rates handy, but I know that this past year my absolute highest monthly bill for total electric and gas was $250. There is an installation impediment and that it why I am going with the 80%. Also that is why I thought I should get new furnace along with the air even though the old furnace is still working at 14 yrs old. Unit is in a closet in center of house.

Also thanks heatpumpguru, but I have PECO for gas and PP&L for electric. I save some money with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crosstalk View Post
    Also thanks heatpumpguru, but I have PECO for gas and PP&L for electric. I save some money with this.
    Keep in mind, that PPL has a big rate hike coming for us in 2010.
    Select your heat pump wisely.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast