Thread: Changing Unions

Changing Unions

I am currently a member of minnesota smw local 10. Would I be able to transfer to a different union. I am going to be moving to Las Vegas. Would I be able to join their smw union? I have 6 years working in residentail/ light commercial hvac.

You should ba able to change locals. I did it without any problems. You'll need a transfer card from your current local. Better call ahead to the new local to make sure they'll except you.
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

We had several guys working at our shop on travel cards for over a year. Our local was low on work, so they did not transfer them till work picked up. They were doing refer work, which none of the guys on the bench could do. I would sure try talking to both your current local and where you on thinking of moving to. Good luck.
    He never hit the brakes and was shifting gears!! GB

Thank you for the replies. I have one more question how is the job outlook in Las Vegas. Is it easy to get a job down there?

I moved to Vegas a few months ago from Chicago. I have no prior experience with HVAC, but I wanted to become an apprentice with UA and had no chance in Chicago because of the slow down. I applied for apprenticeship with Local 525 here in Vegas a few months ago and took the test. I should be getting a letter soon.

Things are probably worse here than they have ever been. Despite that, there's still a ton of work here compared to the Mid-West. My brother is a journeyman with IBEW and is working here as a traveler. His number was called about 3 weeks after he signed the books. Right now, IBEW and UA are about 4 weeks out. Not sure about SMW, but I doubt it's much different (3-4 weeks).

If you come down here, I suggest you sign the books immediately. Don't waste any time. Everyone I talk to is saying that things are expected to pick up drastically in January.

You do know that you have to actually live in Vegas even before they can put your name on the list....right? They won't put you on the list before you move.

Maybe something for you to check into first.
    It would suck to show up only to find out you'll be off of work for 2+ months.

Chicago is an indian word for stinky!!!!!!
    -supertek65