Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Auto manufacturer's - voice of reason

Senator Richard Shelby has a darn good idea for how our government should be dealing with American auto makers. Even though Democrats and union advocates are always blaming management for the auto manufacturers problems, Barney Frank is against forcing the auto makers to revamp their organizations in order to rid them of bad management because it might mean that the unions control over labor will also be revealed as a major issue;

WASHINGTON (Map, News) - The senior Republican on the Banking Committee said Wednesday he doesn't believe there will be a turnaround in the troubled U.S. auto industry until its top management is ousted and its manufacturing operations are revamped.

"I don't think they have immediate plans to change their model, which is a model of failure," Sen. Richard Shelby said, a day after the top executives of General Motors, Ford and Chrysler came to Congress to plead for a $25 billion "bridge loan" to avert layoffs and plant closings.
    "I think a lot of it will be life support," Shelby, R-Ala., said. "I believe their best option would be some type of Chapter 11 bankruptcy ... These leaders have been failures and they need to go."
    Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., disagreed with that, saying choosing the bankruptcy option would likely mean abrogation of labor contracts. "We already have too much union busting," said Frank, appearing on CBS's "The Early Show" with Shelby.
    http://www.examiner.com/a-1699325~Sh...ent_teams.html

Our alleged leaders, like Frank, would rather see the whole country go down the tubes then lose the organized labor support that keeps their sorry butts in office through intimidation.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Shelby is one of the more sensible people in congress.

Maybe that's why he changed from a Democrat to a Republican a few years ago.

Shelby has always been Republican. I believe he had Hotel time with McCain.

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    Shelby has always been Republican. I believe he had Hotel time with McCain.
    I'm pretty sure he changed parties when Gingrich became speaker in the "Republican Revolution"

maybe , but it seems like I voted for him before I left Alabama in 1980, or he annouced his intentions to run for office

No matter what party Shelby belongs to or has ever belonged to, he has a very good way of handling the auto manufacturers demands for being given money to offset their failings.

This is not like the banking industry, which was basically put in the position to conduct business badly by our government. The auto industry has just done a poor job of doing business.

Our government is heavily subsidizing the steel industry, the shipping industry, the trucking industry and the railroad industry. What is the common theme to all of these industries? That's right; they are all inundated with the weight of labor unions. Is this bashing, or is this realizing what the problem may be?

maybe , but it seems like I voted for him before I left Alabama in 1980, or he annouced his intentions to run for office
    Shelby was a Democrat until 1994.

Does'nt Shelby have a nice new Hyundai plant in his back yard?

Quote Originally Posted by the mojo View Post
    Does'nt Shelby have a nice new Hyundai plant in his back yard?
    Don't know. What's your point? Maybe Ford, GM and Chrysler should be sold to to foreign company's that are not having the problems these three are having.

If you are suggesting political preference, it didn't keep Shelby from being reprimanded by the Clinton administration for bucking up against President Clinton when Shelby was a Democrat;
    Shelby publicly feuded with Bill Clinton during the first half of his first term. At a meeting with Vice President Al Gore, he turned to 19 Alabama TV cameras and denounced the Clinton program as "high on taxes, low on spending cuts". Consequently, it was announced that a multi-million dollar space facility was not going to be built in Alabama but rather Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Don't know. What's your point? Maybe Ford, GM and Chrysler should be sold to to foreign company's that are not having the problems these three are having.

If you are suggesting political preference, it didn't keep Shelby from being reprimanded by the Clinton administration for bucking up against President Clinton when Shelby was a Democrat;
    Hey Robo. they are talking about you on another thread in ARP.

I watched some of the big three begging for a bailout this morning, and couldn't help but wonder how Rick Wagoner is still head of GM. He couldn't answer anything they asked, and seemed clueless as to when they'll run out of cash. If you're going to go ask for billions, shouldn't you at least be able to answer those questions? NO wonder the general is in the shape it's in. Blame the unions all you want, but it was the boneheads in charge of GM and the other 2 that gave them what they wanted with glee.

Hey Robo. they are talking about you on another thread in ARP.
    As well they should

Just pointing out that he does. And is looking out for the citizens he represents. http://www.hmmausa.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast