Trane voyager heat exchangers!

Has anyone noticed a rash of rotted out heat exchangers? A couple of years ago it would take like 4 to 6 weeks to get a replacement, but now they just happen to have them in there warehouses. Weve done like 12 in the last couple weeks.

Smile

Had two go on a 30 ton roof top. Unit was eight years old using 100% OA. We really havn't had any other problems. We waited 2 weeks for the replacements.
    "My hands are for sale"

Quote Originally Posted by bigd View Post
    Has anyone noticed a rash of rotted out heat exchangers? A couple of years ago it would take like 4 to 6 weeks to get a replacement, but now they just happen to have them in there warehouses. Weve done like 12 in the last couple weeks.
    I have never found a bad heat exchanger in a Trane RTU, I guess they have that going for them. I would like to find a bad one just to see how they are to chenge out. I have had to change several heat exchangers in Carrier and York RTU's over the last two heating seasons.

Just replaced 11, 20 to 30 tons. All on the same building.
    "I'm from Texas, what country are you from?"

Yes,,,,,, We have changed out at least a dozen on our Trane Voyager 15-25 ton range RTU's.

The welded seam on the heat exchanger tubes seem to be the weak point on these heat exchangers.

just changed out 2 on 20 ton roof tops a couple weeks ago on one building, got a couple more to do. I dont usually see voyagers go bad, carriers and yorks are a different story.

I have replaced 7 or 8 in the past 2 years but the units were at least 14 years old. Those are the only ones I have had to change.

we service a large movie theater company, and do several a season, but we never experienced Trane carrying the heat exchangers, now all the sudden they can have them in a day or so. It strikes me as strange that all the sudden they just happen to have these large cumbersome units kicking around there warehouses.

We just changed 2 15 ton heat X's and we did get them with in a couple of days... Compared to last couple of years they were on back order. But maybe we changed them later in the year last year.

York, and Carrier almost always have them in stock.. And then they'll only last 6 to 8 years up here. I even made up some metal slide for the York heat exchager so you don't rip the insullation up from the stupid brackects on the back side.

Trane's normally go bad after 10-12 years unless there on the coast.

Heat Exchanger Re and Re

Good info, but remember a couple things:

1) Ensure there is not excessive O/A = = condensing

2) Ensure the temperature rise is according to nameplate as well
    as proper firing rate ( manifold pressure and clock the meter ).

3) Units on the coast as well as near dry cleaners are prone to
    rotting out prematurely as well.

I have found that there is usually one of the previous problems if a heat exchanger fails; that
    being said, there are some ' dogs ' out there, to be sure !

Have fun !

Freonguy
    Superheat and subcooling tell it all !