Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    480

    FX-40 memory leak?

    I've got an FX-40 that had been running quite nicely since January (no goofy appliance, just a stripped down-to-normal JACE running 3.1.30), but very recently is suffering some lockups: I can intermittently make a platform connection to reboot, and sometimes a station connection to look around at what works and what doesn't, but rarely will both work.

    A station connection always throws the little yellow box that the station is running low on disk space. I can't seem to confirm this, though - even with 118 histories, there always appears to be plenty of disk space available.

    The biggest problem I find is the memory is all used up - the station's resource manager shows 128Mb of mem.total, with 128Mb of mem.used. The only clue I've been able to get from the system was a look at the TimeSync service, which showed all three time server connections faulted due to "java.net.SocketException: Too many open files"...curious.
    Interestingly, this would seem to jive with the station director's output (when I can make a platform connection) that throws several errors per second pertaining to some socket exception (but I neglected to write it down the last time I did a reboot, and can't seem to make a platform connection now that I really need that info...)

    Probably due to the memory lockup, none of the spy diagnostics show up (all blank screens, regardless of what I'm looking at).

    The only other clue I have to offer is that this started only when I loaded the e-mail service and setup e-mail alarming two weeks ago. The e-mail alarming works fine, until the JACE locks up...

    So where should I look for clues as to why the memory is all used up?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    167
    check the configuration of the outgoing account regarding the email persistence. If memory serves me correctly there was a bug with setting the persistence property to true on a Jace that would cause it to use up a file descriptor every time it polled the email account.

    You need the 3.1.31 version of the email jar to fix this, or simply disable the persistence.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    480
    Checkvalve, you are the man (unless, of course, you're not a man, then never mind...)!! Turning off the persistence was a very simple fix (other than the trip out to the site to cold-boot the locked up JACE)...getting the 3.1.31 mail jar looks to be more trouble than it's worth for this little problem, so it's all good! Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event