New furnace time - York Affinity Modulating

New furnace time - York Affinity Modulating

Hi All,

New user to the forum and just about to have my furnace replaced, figured this was the best place to get information.

I have a 1299 square foot 1 & 1/2 storey house, built in 1918 up in Winnipeg MB, Canada. My current furnace is a ICS model 100k BTU from I believe 1974. It still works but has definitely seen better days and is going to be replaced in a month or so. My main goal is to reduce the monthly gas bill.

I have received about 6 in home estimates from a range of companies, I have selected my favourite two based on local reputation and both appear to be relatively solid companies.

The company I have selected (still have time to change) install York furnaces, not a brand I am overly familiar with. The model I would go with is a PC9 80k BTU unit. This is a modulating furnace and sounds to be relatively new to the market. I do not know a whole lot about this unit and was hoping that someone could give me an honest opinion that has either had one installed, or has installed one and knows how they operate if installed correctly.

The second company is larger and has a slightly better reputation (relative, these are the best two of 6 companies in total). They install Lennox furnaces and have two models which compete with the York model. I believe they are the G61 and the G71P models. This company is more expensive (500-1000 depending on the model) and their warranty is less (1yr labour compared to 10 years from the company with the York. Both are 10 year parts).

Would it be wise to go with the company with a slightly better reputation instead of the company which appears to have a better deal (I like the idea of modulating, but don't consider it a necessary item) for a new furnace?

I have selected the Honeywell IAQ YTH9421C1002 thermostat to be installed by the company putting in the York furnace. My understanding is that the York model of modulation only requires a single stage thermostat. Is it a waste of money to get this IAQ thermostat paired with the York furnace?

I appreciate any feedback.

Josh

I am not fond of lennox .............at all.
    I am looking into becoming a York dealer if that tells you anything.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Rheem's mod furnace is controlled by the stat. IMO this is a much better way to decide how much heat is needed in the home.

You'll like the York mod.

The YTH9421, is more stat then you need, if you don't have now or want to add any other devices later.
    EG: Humidifier, fresh air vent, A/C.

But, its still a good stat to use, since you also won't hear the clicking noise that other digital stats make.

The York mod is on its third year of use.
    The Lennox is going to its second year.

Did your old furnace have to run constantly, when you were at your coldest temps, or did it cycle on and off.
    Since the 80,000BTU mod, will have almost the same output as your old furnace.
    But will want to move more air. As any 90% plus furnace would.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Temperatures here get very cold in winter. Annual temperatures range from -40 Celsius on the coldest days to 35 Celsius on the warmest. With wind-chill we usually have a week each winter where temperatures are -50 Celsius. That being said I usually keep my house around 20 Celsius and I would guess the current furnace is staying on a lot to accommodate that, but I’m unsure to be truthful.

I do actually have an AC unit as well, and was hoping to make use of the humidity control on the IAQ thermostat. My understanding is that the Honeywell IAQ YTH9421 was able to control humidity without a humidifier/dehumidifier by controlling the furnace’s blower. Is that correct?

The IAQ can slow the blower down to help keep the humidity lower in the summer time.
    It can't do anything to increase the humidity in the winter, without a humidifier.
    Contractor locator map

Thanks for the info.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a humidifier or potentially one of the more complex filters. I believe an electrostatic filter and or the UV lights to reduce mold/bacteria production. Could you suggest some hardware which would be compatible with the York modulating and if these components are worthwhile or a waste of money?

Stay away from the electro static air filters. They are too restrictive.
    A 4" media filter is better.

Is your house dry with your current furnace.
    If so, first look at ways to seal it up so you don't bring in as much outdoor air. This will reduce the need for a humidifier.

If you can't reduce the fresh air. Then Aprilaire makes a good humidifier.
    Either the 550, or 600 would be a good choice. The 600, just has a higher capacity then the 550, thats the only real difference between those 2. But with a mod, the 550 should be plenty, unless your cutains move with the slightest ouotdoor breeze.

UV lights are ok devices. But, have you had mold in the past, or are you being proactive.
    Most, UV lights need to be on 24/7.
    The UV tubes are only good for about 9000 hours. And a year has 8760 hours in it. Meaning that basically, you need to replace the tubes almost once a year.
    And replacement tubes are not inexpensive.
    Contractor locator map

A single zone heating system with no humidifier would run just as well with the standard pro 8000 with humidity controll. As for the furnace York has had modulating furnaces for 2 years now. My customers can not say enough good words about the Luxaire/ York modulating furnaces.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

The York is also more efficient than Lennox. With any of the new multi-stage/ECM furnaces you should get as much warranty as possible. I'm not sure how much better the Lennox dealer's reputation is, but it sounds like the York package is the better deal.