+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: attention mods: request for spellcheck feature

Post Likes

attention mods: request for spellcheck feature

dear mods and admin,

Hvac-talk is a great site that is missing just one thing, spellcheck. There are so many posts here that appear to be written in Swahili, and therefore I feel need to be reread several times to understand their proper context. Please accept this letter as my formal request for spellcheck. I think it would be great if the site could automatically spellcheck as the submit prompt is executed. Furthermore, a grammar usage feature would also be appreciated, ie, there, their, to, too, etc... Thank you in advance for consideration to this request. tjc76

Post Likes
    if yuo can raed tihs, you hvae a sgtrane mnid, too.
    Can you raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it.

If you can read this, your brain is 50% faster than those who can't

Post Likes
    I use spell check almost in every post I make. It should be in your reply page, I think you just have to click on that feature, and install it. At least that's how I did it.

Post Likes
    i think its standard on every reply box because i didnt have to activate or install anything. just had to open my eyes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it.

Paragraphs like that put me in special ed as a kid, now you saying I’m smarter than 50% of some people. No wonder I’m confused.

Post Likes
    Try the one on the Google tool bar, works for me

Post Likes

Cool

translation:
    "If you can read this, you have a strange mind, too. Can you read this? Only 55 people out of 100 can. I couldn't believe that I could actually understand what I was reading. The phenomenal power of the human mind, according to a researcher at Cambridge University, it doesn' matter in what order the letters in a word are, The only important thing is that the first and last letter be in the right place. The rest can be a total mess and you can still read it without a problem. This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself, but the word as a whole. Amazing, huh? Yeah, and i always thought spelling was important. if you can read this forward it."

I can't believe that I took the time to translate that. I also can't believe you took the time to write that.

Post Likes
    The site integrates wonderfully with http://www.iespell.com/

It will give you a little ABC check mark on the top right hand corner of your reply box.

However, I do recommend the following add on product for those who still use Internet Explorer such as myself.

http://www.ie7pro.com/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tjc76 View Post
    translation:
    "If you can read this, you have a strange mind, too. Can you read this? Only 55 people out of 100 can. I couldn't believe that I could actually understand what I was reading. The phenomenal power of the human mind, according to a researcher at Cambridge University, it doesn' matter in what order the letters in a word are, The only important thing is that the first and last letter be in the right place. The rest can be a total mess and you can still read it without a problem. This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself, but the word as a whole. Amazing, huh? Yeah, and i always thought spelling was important. if you can read this forward it."

I can't believe that I took the time to translate that. I also can't believe you took the time to write that.
    you give me wayyyyy too much credit. i copied and pasted it!

Post Likes
    while we're on the subject:
    we need:
    Grammar check
    Punctuation check

things that should have been learned/taught in grammar school
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes

I can read this just as fast as written normally. And I can't figure out how to use the spell check.

Post Likes
    I use google search on my toolbar, when I need to spell check. Type in the word how you think it is spelled. It will come up with the, "Did you mean.......".
    Sometimes, I'm just too lazy to do that and leave the misspelled word as is. It's not like I'm in a spelling bee.
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Post Likes

Wow, I read it with out a problem ...So I am above average with this and farting ...I'm so proud of myself ...

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Post Likes
    Use Firefox and have spell check built in with no add-ons needed.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    Or you can download open office for free. It's a word smith program as powerful as microsoft's office (or so I hear). I have it and have yet to figure out 1% of it's potential. So for now I bang away on the keyboard, and let it keep me from looking like an idiot.

http://openoffice.org-suite.com/inde...o_us&se=google

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tjc76 View Post
    dear mods and admin,

Hvac-talk is a great site that is missing just one thing, spellcheck. There are so many posts here that appear to be written in Swahili, and therefore I feel need to be reread several times to understand their proper context. Please accept this letter as my formal request for spellcheck. I think it would be great if the site could automatically spellcheck as the submit prompt is executed. Furthermore, a grammar usage feature would also be appreciated, ie, there, their, to, too, etc... Thank you in advance for consideration to this request. tjc76

Last time I checked this site was free so take what you can get man. Not everyone is perfect with spelling or grammar, I didn't think I had to be an office worker or a master of English to post here. I agree things are easier if they are perfect, but as long as a word is close who cares? I do think there should be a rule about posting in all caps, that does suck. lol

I would like to add something, according to 2 different spell checkers you have mistakes in 2 of your posts in this thread. It made it soooooooooooo hard to read, i had to re-read it at least 2 times.

Post Likes
    I don't want spell check ....... that would take away my excuse for bad spelling.

Then I would have to use the excuse that I'm too lazy to use it.

Oh ya I guess your right, I could do it now but ........ I AM TOO LAZY

Post Likes
    Send all posts to Twilli for proofe reading
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Send all posts to Twilli for proofe reading
    LOL.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Post Likes
    and when we get done doing it for the site, can we make it functional for invoices too
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in