Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Global warming, Al Gore, and a screw-up...

This article crossed my Email box, and wonder of wonders I have a link to it also... amazing things do happen... LOL

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m.../16/do1610.xml

A surreal scientific blunder last week raised a huge question mark about the temperature records that underpin the worldwide alarm over global warming. On Monday, Nasa's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS), which is run by Al Gore's chief scientific ally, Dr James Hansen, and is one of four bodies responsible for monitoring global temperatures, announced that last month was the hottest October on record.

This was startling. Across the world there were reports of unseasonal snow and plummeting temperatures last month, from the American Great Plains to China, and from the Alps to New Zealand. China's official news agency reported that Tibet had suffered its "worst snowstorm ever". In the US, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration registered 63 local snowfall records and 115 lowest-ever temperatures for the month, and ranked it as only the 70th-warmest October in 114 years.

So what explained the anomaly? GISS's computerized temperature maps seemed to show readings across a large part of Russia had been up to 10 degrees higher than normal. But when expert readers of the two leading warming-sceptic blogs, Watts Up With That and Climate Audit, began detailed analysis of the GISS data they made an astonishing discovery. The reason for the freak figures was that scores of temperature records from Russia and elsewhere were not based on October readings at all. Figures from the previous month had simply been carried over and repeated two months running.

The error was so glaring that when it was reported on the two blogs - run by the US meteorologist Anthony Watts and Steve McIntyre, the Canadian computer analyst who won fame for his expert debunking of the notorious "hockey stick" graph - GISS began hastily revising its figures. This only made the confusion worse because, to compensate for the lowered temperatures in Russia, GISS claimed to have discovered a new "hotspot" in the Arctic - in a month when satellite images were showing Arctic sea-ice recovering so fast from its summer melt that three weeks ago it was 30 per cent more extensive than at the same time last year.

A GISS spokesman lamely explained that the reason for the error in the Russian figures was that they were obtained from another body, and that GISS did not have resources to exercise proper quality control over the data it was supplied with. This is an astonishing admission: the figures published by Dr Hansen's institute are not only one of the four data sets that the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) relies on to promote its case for global warming, but they are the most widely quoted, since they consistently show higher temperatures than the others.

If there is one scientist more responsible than any other for the alarm over global warming it is Dr Hansen, who set the whole scare in train back in 1988 with his testimony to a US Senate committee chaired by Al Gore. Again and again, Dr Hansen has been to the fore in making extreme claims over the dangers of climate change. (He was recently in the news here for supporting the Greenpeace activists acquitted of criminally damaging a coal-fired power station in Kent, on the grounds that the harm done to the planet by a new power station would far outweigh any damage they had done themselves.)

Yet last week's latest episode is far from the first time Dr Hansen's methodology has been called in question. In 2007 he was forced by Mr Watts and Mr McIntyre to revise his published figures for US surface temperatures, to show that the hottest decade of the 20th century was not the 1990s, as he had claimed, but the 1930s.

Another of his close allies is Dr Rajendra Pachauri, chairman of the IPCC, who recently startled a university audience in Australia by claiming that global temperatures have recently been rising "very much faster" than ever, in front of a graph showing them rising sharply in the past decade. In fact, as many of his audience were aware, they have not been rising in recent years and since 2007 have dropped.

Dr Pachauri, a former railway engineer with no qualifications in climate science, may believe what Dr Hansen tells him. But whether, on the basis of such evidence, it is wise for the world's governments to embark on some of the most costly economic measures ever proposed, to remedy a problem which may actually not exist, is a question which should give us all pause for thought.

GA's comment: There is increasing evidence that sunspot cycles have a lot to do with the temperature of the earth. The sun spot cycle is in decline. If that is indeed true, we will experience cooler temperatures for a few years.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Here is an article making a similar point, I think. Shhh, don't tell the GW alarmists. They will be missing purpose in life. Oops, too late.
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

John, your title should have been "There is no Global Warming Much Less Man Made Global Warming, Screw Greenpeace and Al Gore". Good read on the article just need to highlight the facts a lot more.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

The solar evidence has been there all along. We are currently at a maximum of 3 solar cycles. The sunspot cycle is only 22 years long. For the next 1000 years the solar output will be decreasing. Look at your history books. 1000 years ago, Greenland was settled by the Vikings. It was GREEN. They abandoned it because the world cooled off. 5 to 10 years from now the sun will be at a minimum sunspot period. The other 2 known cycles will still be close to the top of their output. In 20 years we will be back a sunspot max.

None of this changes the fact that there are more global warming gases in the atmosphere now than in all the time we have been able to measure them. What changes is the simplistic look at the global atmospheric system. It is like trying to fix a freezer by only looking at the system charge.

Science is supposed to be examining all the evidence not just the evidence you want to see. The people in charge of science are being manipulated by grant money and politics from both sides of the issue. (It being overly simplistic that there are only 2 sides)
    For the next 10 years the anti-global warming people will be saying they are winning the debate. Then the pro-global warming people will have their chance to claim a propaganda victory.

It will take 50 years to see the results of global warming gases being masked by solar output. If the temp does not stablize the gases have a stronger effect. If the planet cools, the sun has the strongest effect.

While all you people are out there trying to blame somebody else, we are running out of fossil fuels. Kind of shows there is a loving God out there watching our back. If we can't be good stewards of the planet he gave us, he will at least keep us from killing ourselves out of ignorance and pride.

The problem may fix itself. If it doesn't, I'm sure you all will have plenty of fun trying to pass off the blame.

BTW. Al Gore is not a demon for expressing his right out free speech, just because he is saying what you do not want to hear.
    This is still America, the land of the free. Not America, the land of the only true patriotic americans believe just like I do.
    If the superheat ain't right it ain't charged right.

"Global Warming" is caused by people who want to control businesses.

their friend who sells refrigerators will have a "green" business, while the compitition will be a "gross polluter"

all of the public will pay high prices for simple technology.

they create political envirionments where compition from America is illegal, and Asia is a safe haven from evirionmental laws, which also coincidently has the cheapest labor.
    in other words, you have to be a heavily funded internationalist to be able to sell technilogical products.

'those pesky asian leaders won't follow envirionmental rules again!!!'

THAT is what Al Goreis the leader of.

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    John, your title should have been "There is no Global Warming Much Less Man Made Global Warming, Screw Greenpeace and Al Gore". Good read on the article just need to highlight the facts a lot more.
    HI Glenn,

I wrote the post to be an information article... as you can see, both sides have stepped up to the line and spoken their thoughts/feelings.

I know what I believe to be truth, even if it is not the trend currently... it will be in a year or so when folks realize BHO is a fraud. I can wait...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Seems to me that too many people are forgetting their high school biology and the study of photosynthesis.
    Carbon Dioxide is necessary for life on this planet, it's where the Oxygen that we breathe comes from through the plants that convert the CO2 to O2.
    If the Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere is reduced too much, which seems to be the goal of global warming alarmists, life on earth may become unsustainable because our main source of Oxygen will be reduced in output.
    Something to consider certainly.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by william antley View Post
    Seems to me that too many people are forgetting their high school biology and the study of photosynthesis.
    Carbon Dioxide is necessary for life on this planet, it's where the Oxygen that we breathe comes from through the plants that convert the CO2 to O2.
    If the Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere is reduced too much, which seems to be the goal of global warming alarmists, life on earth may become unsustainable because our main source of Oxygen will be reduced in output.
    Something to consider certainly.
    This is true, the climate is constantly changing and adjusting as it has is the past.

The atheistic Liberals want to belive the earth is like the Space Shuttle, easy to damage and crash, instead of a more complex creation with its systems being controlled by its Creator.

There is a struggle who will decide the winners and losers. Do you want DuPont and its related lobbyists to call the shots? It's a matter of picking your poison, who is your lobbyist of choice.

For each one of us to do what we can to reduce our output is profoundly different from subscribing to these so-called gurus, who are nothing more than jetliner-environmentalists--the successor to the limousine liberal.

You may consider that last sentence to be nothing more than name-calling, but I ask you how come they do not simply reduce their own arguments to self-regulating behavior, rather than telling the rest of the world how to live?
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    This is true, the climate is constantly changing and adjusting as it has is the past.

The atheistic Liberals want to believe the earth is like the Space Shuttle, easy to damage and crash, instead of a more complex creation with its systems being controlled by its Creator.
    Agreed, remember the BioSphere II fiasco? The "scientists" in that sealed dome were having great difficulties with an excess of Oxygen in the dome from shortly after the start of that project and they had to take steps to increase their use of O2 and their production of CO2 to maintain an artificial balance of climate in that glass bubble.
    If climatic control was such a failure on a minute scale, how could anyone of the gullible warming gorons think they can control the climate on such a grand scale as our earth?
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

There needs to be some way to "de-couple" the Grant money flowing into all of the fraudulent studies. Until the Grant money stops or is allocated better, there will be a yearly "Designer-Crisis" designed to attarct more Grant money.

This is sort of like when the Congress/Courts mandated public money to support the ACLU's causes, suddenly there was a huge increase in cases that HAD to be addressed.

The Grants should be given like subcontractors are paid; When you achieve provable results, then talk about more money...

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    There needs to be some way to "de-couple" the Grant money flowing into all of the fraudulent studies. Until the Grant money stops or is allocated better, there will be a yearly "Designer-Crisis" designed to attarct more Grant money.

This is sort of like when the Congress/Courts mandated public money to support the ACLU's causes, suddenly there was a huge increase in cases that HAD to be addressed.

The Grants should be given like subcontractors are paid; When you achieve provable results, then talk about more money...
    This IMO a great post! The problem has been addressed head on with a no-nonsense solution... however I am not holding my breath as to it ever happpening...

Imagine the savings at the federal level if we got rid of most of the grant money...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    This IMO a great post! The problem has been addressed head on with a no-nonsense solution... however I am not holding my breath as to it ever happpening...

Imagine the savings at the federal level if we got rid of most of the grant money...
    Thanks for the compliment.
    The whole University system would collapse if they pulled back the "bogus" grants and half the lobbyists on K street would be homeless.
    Just as important; Why are salaries at the Universities still rising at twice the inflation rate during a recession?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast