Thread: HRV

HRV

Can HRV's be installed in a attic space ? I ask this because my installer who I had over the other day when we determined the only way to be able to have a deicated ducting for the HRV is to install the HEV in my attic, otherwise I would have to have the unit installed trhu my HVAC equipment which I would preferr a dedicated ducting.

Yes, you can install it that way.

I prefer to use the heat/cooling system duct work though.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

You better becareful

HRVs produce moisture and if you are in colder climate the drain could freeze. Whats wrong with running it through existing ducts if you have ample return airs.
    Do it right the first time.

HRVs should be located inside the conditioned space in cold climates. WI attics are cold and cause condensation inside the ducts containing damp house air. Basement is much better than the attic unless atttic is warm during cold weather.
    Exhaust stale air from the center of high spots inside the home like largest bath. Fresh air is cool after flowing through the HRV and should be mixed with house air befor distributing the fresh air throught the home. A little cool air supplied high in the conditioned space throughout the home is not noticiable. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"