Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how to lose a residential customer

For what it's worth, here's my abbreviated story:

At our semi-annual inspection on Nov 5 our furnace was tagged (shut off) and we were told we needed a new heat exchanger. It's under warranty, so the new heat exchanger would be free, and we would only have to pay labor to install it. We opted to do the replacement rather than put in a new furnace. The heat exchanger replacement was scheduled for November 13. We waited a week without heat for 8 days. Then, at 4:45 pm on Nov 12, we received a phone message saying they had just then reviewed their employee's Nov 5 work report and realized additional parts were needed, i.e. a diverter box is also needed, which they did not order and don't have on hand , so they cannot do the repair on the scheduled date, and furthermore, the cost of repair will be twice as much. From my perspective, we endured a very cold house for a whole week for nothing. Now we are back to square one. This needless suffering occurred because the hvac company didn't review their own paperwork when they planned the repair job and ordered parts.
    Last edited by Michigan woman; 11-14-2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Edited to remove specific price quotes, sorry.

read the rules, no pricing allowed.

what happened to you stinks but in busy times sometimes stuff slips thru the cracks.

1st price was way to low anyway......

Sorry to hear that, In most cases, I could have installed the HX the next day. I hope the issue of why the HX went bad was resolved as well.

To leave a customer without heat for 8 days is unacceptable!

How was it resolved....did you ring another company?

If not, where are you in MI?
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

Yes....please remove your pricing from your post....it's against the rules....

The first price was way too low anyway to do that kind of work....

How old is your furnace?? Did the technician give you the option of speaking to someone about replacing the entire furnace?? It's good to get all of your options before making that kind of repair. Quite honestly, the new heat exchanger will be the exact same style that is now cracked....

What I see here is that your company screwed up....it sounds as if you have a service agreement with them?? Might be time to find a new company. Two days at the most is all you should have waited.....oh, and I carry a few space heaters on my truck....they aren't as good as a furnace....but better than nothing.....
    I need a new signature.....

If the exchanger was bad , along with all the honest people there are alot of thieves who make us look bad. I dont like the sound of the 'noticed there were other parts needed' Sounds like you were triaged to me.
    BTW its easy to lose a residential customer , i do it every week,normally how i do it is..............i tell them the truth,,,,,,,,,,,,makes em mad every time.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan woman View Post
    This needless suffering occurred because the hvac company didn't review their own paperwork when they planned the repair job and ordered parts.
    And you didn't review the site rules. Again, we're only hearing half the story.

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    If the exchanger was bad , along with all the honest people there are alot of thieves who make us look bad. I dont like the sound of the 'noticed there were other parts needed' Sounds like you were triaged to me.
    BTW its easy to lose a residential customer , i do it every week,normally how i do it is..............i tell them the truth,,,,,,,,,,,,makes em mad every time.
    I wouldn't say a lot rather a few unscrupulous that give the rest of the good companies a bad rap.

And we only heard one side, there's three sides to every story....

I can think of a few companies locally that are really bad , bad A/C companies are like bad auto mechanics and bad cops, they make us all look bad. And youre right we did only hear one part of the story , but we all know how it really works , we make more on a new furnace than we do on a hx.
    Needed another part my butttt
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

I did scan the rules yesterday, apparently I fixated on not posting prices for equipment or parts, not so much for labor. I am very sorry. My point about the price is that the first price I was quoted (labor to install new HX) was in the range where it might be worth repairing this 1991 80% furnace, but the second price was enough to tip the scale to buying a new furnace.

To T527ed, I would say yes, things slip through the cracks, but we have suffered, especially my husband who is quite thin, he has been very cold. Furthermore, certain aspects of the story from the contractor have changed. I posted the shortened version of events. My point is really just that botched information flow within the hvac company caused us very real discomfort. They would have given better customer service by pulling the file and reviewing their employee's report at the time they planned and scheduled the repair and ordered the HX.

Don't you just hate it when a HO just tells us all the juicy stuff and leaves out all the important information, LOL !!!

It would be completely foolish to replace a heat exchanger on a furnace over 15 yr old.........jmo

Dan,
    Do you want all the intricate details of this? I can post more of the details if you want to know. I tried to summarize the gist of the story.

At first I was suspicious I was being conned, because several details of the story shifted over time, but after having someone else inspect the furnace, I concluded it's not a con, just a case where two or three slips caused a big mix-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan woman View Post
    Dan,
    Do you want all the intricate details of this? I can post more of the details if you want to know. I tried to summarize the gist of the story.

At first I was suspicious I was being conned, because several details of the story shifted over time, but after having someone else inspect the furnace, I concluded it's not a con, just a case where two or three slips caused a big mix-up.
    We really don't need any more info. Vent your anger to the original contractor, we didn't do anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast