Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    So the seal with a trap part ? you mean on the water bucket to seal with a trap ? Please explain, do I fill the trap ? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Crush the grapes into the primary fermentor. Fill the fermentor about 2/3 full. Remove about 80 percent of stems.

Add sulfite crystals to fermentor at the rate of about 0.1 gram of sulfite powder per liter. Dissolve into 1 cup of warm water and stir into fermentor using a wooden or plastic spoon. Then let it all sit for 2 hours.

Check the brix #. It should be around 22 to 24 degrees, depending on the variety of grapes used. If the Brix # is lower than 21 degrees, add some sugar to the juice.

Check and adjust acid level of juice - use an acid-test kit: you can get them at a wine making supply place. Acid content should be about 5.5 to 6.5 g/liter.

Check temperature of must (juice) and adjust if necessary. Temperature should be 70 to 75 degrees F You can raise the temperature with a heating pad. You can lower temp by inserting a cool inert object, a bag of ice, or by setting the fermentor into a deep pan of cold water.

When the proper Brix, acid level, and temperature are reached, dissolve 1 gram yeast pellets in 1 cup of warm water for every gallon liters of must. Let yeast solution sit for 10 minutes, then add to fermentor.

Cover fermentor with cheesecloth. And then check it after 24 hours. Bubbles and gurgling noises indicate good fermentation.
    As fermentation takes place, the temperature will rise, which is acceptable.

Stir once morning and night to keep the cap wet. The cap is the top layer of seeds and grape skins.

Check Brix daily. There should be an average drop of about 2 degrees in Brix.

When the cap stops pushing up to the top or when Brix is around 0 degrees, press the wine into gallon jugs and attach a fermentation lock. Save the cap pulp to top up after initial racking.

When the sediment drops out, rack, and top up with pulp. Add sulfite. Add your fining material right after racking, or a little later, when the wine is clear. Continue racking as necessary.

Depending on the variety of grapes used; age for appropriate amount of time and then bottle. Bottle age for the appropriate amount of time.
    Interesting hobbies you have Mikey!

This is one of the best food threads yet
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by overscore23 View Post
    So the seal with a trap part ? you mean on the water bucket to seal with a trap ? Please explain, do I fill the trap ? thanks
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D2%26hl%3Den

Here is a link I found it shows a great bubbler to use and a common size cork

Buy a couple so you can brew several bottles at once

You can also make a trap out of PVC parts I used it before it worked

If you are making wine by the litter you can use the old balloon trick
    place all the ingredents in a litter and then cap with a party balloon the balloon will inflate in a couple of days and should stay inflated for several weeks when the balloon falls over from deflation its cheap wine time
    I remember my first day,It was fun!

I used to make my own beer. Once I got the sugar wrong just before capping. In the middle of the night I heard this pop....pop....pop.pop.pop.pop.pop.pop.pop.pop sound, followed by tinkle...tinkle.tinkle.

We opened the pantry door. Beer bottles were exploding. Each was setting off the one next to it. Glass shards were embedded in the wall. Premature beer was dripping down the shelves.

I grabbed the unbroken bottles in a sacred mission to save the beer. My wife gave me one of those wife looks. "What are you doing?"

"These are still good," I pleaded.

"Not in this house."

I stored them in the garage, by the water heater.

Yes, I've made beer since. The problem is there are so many great microbeers available that I can drink without waiting, why make your own?

I've also made my own Merlot. It takes a couple of years for the wine to really come into its own. By then, there was none left.

I'm too much of an instant gratification guy to brew or ferment. Yet, I admire those of you who take the time.

I will trade some Texas state championship salsa for home brewed beer or home fermented wine. Contact me off list.
    Matt Michel
    Service Roundtable
    www.serviceroundtable.com

I like making it but is doesn't really make cents -

When I can buy a liter a good Spanish wine for $5.99 any time I want. I was thinking this again last night at dinner. We were drinking a bottle of Tinto Lena - $5.99 - with Afghanistan food and remarking how well it goes with steak, pasta, fish, or; Afghan food, <g>

And, if I bought it by the case, I could get at least 10% off.

That kind of takes some of the 'justification' out iof tinkering with my own wine. <g>
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

When I can buy a liter a good Spanish wine for $5.99 any time I want. I was thinking this again last night at dinner. We were drinking a bottle of Tinto Lena - $5.99 - with Afghanistan food and remarking how well it goes with steak, pasta, fish, or; Afghan food, <g>

That kind of takes some of the 'justification' out iof tinkering with my own wine. <g>
    Yeah me too. I bought them from the supermarket or sommelier.

What is Afghan food? And where do you get it? Is it like Turkish food?

I was in Istanbul for the first time in November and was blown away by the food. It was great! Everything I tried was really, really good. I just wish I had a chance to eat more balik (i.e., seafood).
    Matt Michel
    Service Roundtable
    www.serviceroundtable.com

Kabul Restaurant in Pholadelphia PA

Second & Chestnut. Parking lot right across the street. Wali is the owner. Tell him you know Scott. Really excellent food, great service, but you will have to ask for the check. Lots of lamb, try the Kabul Kabobs, the chicken meatballs are fabulous. Dal, Kadu, grape leaves - the whole nine.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by matt michel View Post
    What is Afghan food? And where do you get it? Is it like Turkish food?

I was in Istanbul for the first time in November and was blown away by the food. It was great! Everything I tried was really, really good. I just wish I had a chance to eat more balik (i.e., seafood).
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Well,I have a relative that retired from the BATFE.He was and is a redneck bordering on being real mean.This agency has almost unlimited resources to control this product.They will control it.You could not pay me to make a still.If they find sugar,plastic jugs,glass jars in your car,house,guess what?In the old days they got fist choice on buying it from the Gov.Cheap.NO amount is legal to produce for personal consumption.I have drank evidence offered to me as "This guys family has done this for years,it's the best"He would lay in the woods with night vision waiting for the guy to work the still which they knew by temperature when he would be back.Every surveilance method was and is used.If it's an old family secret,they know you.It is insane the millions they spend over a few thousand dollars worth of alcohol.Sorry to bust the party,I'd love to make some.But won't.

My wine cost me around $3.50 a bottle and it beats any cheap wine in taste by a mile, cheap wines give me heartburns cause they are loaded with all sorts chemicals, I know whats in my wine plus it gives me a sense of pride and satisfaction to craft my own from scratch.
    I had afghan food once in small res. in downtown Toronto and it sent me straight to the toilet thanks god for Pepto-Bismol.

I bought a still from an antique shop years ago. It was orginally a copper wash tub. An oval shape and a 6" cap was soldered on top with a tapered snout about 30" long tilting down about 25deg. A length of copper tubing.
    I have it by my wood stove for kindling.
    Tracers work both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I bought a still from an antique shop years ago. It was orginally a copper wash tub. An oval shape and a 6" cap was soldered on top with a tapered snout about 30" long tilting down about 25deg. A length of copper tubing.
    I have it by my wood stove for kindling.
    Want to sell it
    I remember my first day,It was fun!

http://suckerpunchpictures.com/last_...rn_sutton.html

You ain't seen nothing like this dude.....................check it out.
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"
    "he that's walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly" Proverbs 13:20
    "Pressure is something people feel when they don't know what their doing". Peyton Manning-superbowl MVP

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast